Changes when upgrading from ArcGIS 10.2 to 10.2.2 issues

08-02-2014 01:42 PM
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Recently upgraded to Arc 10.2.2...no issues during installation.  I have been using Pythonwin and Pyscripter with no issues at all until I went to re-examine some graphing examples that I had tested previously this summer with no issues...or so I thought.  The code snippet below fails in both programs yielding the error:

Message File Name Line Position
Traceback   
    <module> C:\!AV_10\PythonDemos\PyLab\pylabLineGraphDemo2.py 14 
    <module> C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.2\lib\site-packages\pylab.py 1 
    <module> C:\Python27\ArcGIS10.2\lib\site-packages\matplotlib\__init__.py 121 
ImportError: matplotlib requires pyparsing >= 1.5.6

Since I have been known to be crazy, could someone test the code snippet on a version of Pythonwin and/or Pyscripter for a pre-10.2.2 installation?  (Note:  People copying and pasting code will still have the line numbers if using IE 11...this is a known issue)

EDIT   Could someone also test it on 10.2.2 to see if it is just my installation that has gone bad or if it is general in nature.

Thanks

''' import numpy import numpy.random import pylab #data examples, uncomment as desired #xs = numpy.random.randint(0,100, 25); ys = numpy.random.randint(0,100, 25)    #random integers #xs = [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]; ys = [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]                  #sequential integers xs = [0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10]; ys = [0.1,0.9,2.1,2.9,4.1,5,5.9,7.1,7.9,9.1,10]  #sequential with scatter pylab.scatter(xs, ys,s=20, c='b', marker='+')   #blue + markers pylab.title("Sample title") pylab.xlabel("x-axis") pylab.ylabel("y-axis") pylab.text(1,10,"Sample text") fit = pylab.polyfit(xs,ys,1) fit_fn = pylab.poly1d(fit) #plot with blue pluses (b+), solid  black line -, try yo  yellow circles (yo) dashed line (--k) pylab.plot(xs, ys, 'b+', xs, fit_fn(xs), '-k')    pylab.show()   

Message was edited by: Dan Patterson Widen audience

Message was edited by: Dan Patterson   broaden scope

0 Kudos
9 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Dan,

It worked fine on my ArcGIS 10.1 machine.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Robert for the test and confirmation of my sanity.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Dan,

It works perfectly for me (only tried the sequential with scatter graph). I am using 10.2.2.3552 (Advanced).

Hope you figure it out (I can't think of a reason why it doesn't work at your machine).

Kind regards, Xander

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks Xander
Great (not)...How can a flawless installation become flawed .  I guess an uninstall and reinstall is in order

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Did you install any other python libraries after installing ArcGIS 10.2.2? Might be some conflict?

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

...I just installed pyscripter for python 2.7 after ArcGIS was installed !? (who knows)
...but I have found a workaround which I am still testing and it works.  pyparser is installed in two directories in my installation ....
c:\python27\ArcGIS10.2\site-packages\pyparsing.py     and...

c:\python27\ArcGIS10.2\site-packages\matplotlib\pyparsing.py

both are the same installation date and for python 2.7

I find this strange, but I have two workarounds, both of which I don't like because I prefer not to use the...

>>>from  somemodule import *

but prefer to use the syntax...   somemodule.something when coding  i.e.

import pylab

pylab.title("Sample title")

yet pylab is part of matplotlib which I didn't import directly.

So when I am done tinkering and checking on whether the installation is OK, I will report back.

0 Kudos
XanderBakker

Yes please do report back, since you might not be the only one that will face that problem.

Thanks and good luck!

Xander

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Sorry for the late reply...I gave up on tracking down the error so I was forced to change my import statements to:

import arcpy

import numpy as np

from matplotlib import pyparsing     

from matplotlib import pyplot as plt

and institute the  import...as  and  from...import as   syntax for clarity.   This line in particular:

from matplotlib import pyparsing

was needed to alleviate the pyparsing error, and it doesn't hurt anyway.

I will leave the question open in case someone stumbles on it and finds a real solution, in the interim, thanks for the helpful comments.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

No updates since my last post, I will still leave this open until such time as a get a brand new machine and install everything from scratch to see if the issue persists or my experience and workaround was a one-off solution.  Comments were much appreciated

0 Kudos