This API is going to disappear? As well as Flex and Silverlight?

07-29-2014 02:05 PM
ChristianOrdonez
New Contributor

At ESRI Developer Conference showed that the Flex API was going to be updated until later this year, but not if this is the same case for this Java Script API

0 Kudos
10 Replies
JeffPace
MVP Alum

Flex and Silverlight are end of life.

Javascript is forever

ChristianOrdonez
New Contributor

Great to know it

0 Kudos
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

Nothing is forever

Something will eventually replace Javascript - just not in the foreseeable future.

0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

yes i was being facetious, however at the moment it looks like all the eggs are going in the html5/javascript basket.

0 Kudos
OwenEarley
Occasional Contributor III

I totally agree Jeff. The momentum shift from proprietary solutions to html/js has been huge in the past few years.

Despite the issues with html/js it has a huge amount of flexibility. I just wish all browsers could just handle things in a consistent way...

0 Kudos
Noah-Sager
Esri Regular Contributor

It looks like you guys are already having a good conversation, but I would like to add an official blog we have that you can refer to and/or comment on to voice your questions and opinions:

Esri’s Roadmap for Web Developers

0 Kudos
JessicaGooch1
Occasional Contributor

Is it just me or does it seem like anytime someone references an ESRI blog post it just takes you to the top of the ArcGIS blog and it does not bring you right to the actual content the person is trying to reference?  It could definitely be operator error...I would like to read the linked blog post but I can't seem to find it...

0 Kudos
Noah-Sager
Esri Regular Contributor

Hmm, I've heard that before, actually.

I've also heard that if you click on the link once, go to the generic blog page, close the window, then click on the link again it might work better.

JessicaGooch1
Occasional Contributor

Ha!  And that works!!!  I clicked the link, generic blog page, I close generic blog page, click the link and Voila! 

Thanks Noah