Hello Community

07-29-2014 06:48 AM
MissySikes
New Contributor II

Good Morning Community,

I am new to the GIS world. I was wondering if there was anything that ya'll might know of that I could watch or do that will help me with the basics of GIS for free?? I have never heard of GIS until I came to work at my current company. Any advice would be much appreciated.

- Missy

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Welcome Missy,

ESRI has a lot of free training videos that can be found here.

I would start with this video: Esri Training | Getting Started with GIS

Hope this helps!!!

Tim

MissySikes
New Contributor II

Thanks a ton!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Once you gain some understanding, I would bookmark the ArcMap Help Files to gain specifics on the software itself.

MissySikes
New Contributor II

Thanks a ton!

ISP_graynic
Occasional Contributor II

There are a lot of online resources for GIS.  A basic overview of GIS is found on ESRI's website at What is GIS

If you have access to ArcGIS, there are several universities/organizations that have free tutorials on how to do basic functions online.  One example is the Learning ArcGIS tutorials on the Pennsylvania Geospatial Data Clearinghouse: Tutorial - ArcGIS  This tutorial is using a little older of a version of ArcGIS, but the general concepts and tools should be the same.

Hope these help!

MissySikes
New Contributor II

Thanks a ton!

0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Missy,

A lot of good resources already mentioned above. Within GeoNet you can also follow the New to GIS‌ space to learn more about GIS. And if you have any questions that you can't find an answer to, feel free to post them on GeoNet. You can learn more about using GeoNet from GeoNet Help‌.

Timothy

MissySikes
New Contributor II

Thanks a ton!