Projection for Interpolate Tool. Arc MAp 10.2

07-26-2014 01:12 PM
SebastianSalazar
New Contributor II

Hello. I am new in this new Forum.

With the Interpolate Tool (form 3D Analyst, Functional Surface) I need to calculate the length (in metres) of a rivers polyline shp file.

I already have TIN and DEM. The shape file is in WGS 1984 and the country is Panama.

However, Arc Map help tells me that: "You can only calculate the area, length, or perimeter of features if the coordinate system being used

is projected. Keep in mind that different projections have different spatial properties and distortions. If the coordinate system of the data

source and data frame are not the same, you may get a different result if you calculate geometry using the data frame's coordinate system than

when you calculate using the data source's coordinate system. It is recommended that an equal-area projection be used when calculating areas."

How can I project it with an equal-area projection to use the Interpolate Tool? Where can I find the projection data for Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Honduras, El Salvador and Guatemala to use with the Interpolate Tool.

Thanks in advance for your response,

rioclaro

0 Kudos
2 Replies
PeterWilson
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Sebastian

I'm note sure what projection user TIN or DEM is stored within. I'd recommend that you project your shapefile using the Project Tool found under data management toolbox and use import to specify the coordinate system and select the TIN\DEM. This way at least your TIN\DEM will be the same as your shapefile.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00170000007m000000

Regards

Peter Wilson

0 Kudos
SebastianSalazar
New Contributor II

Peter.Many thanks .

I'll try your idea and I let you know the result.

Cheer's

0 Kudos