Exercice 9b. / Visibility range doesn't work for map notes

Jump to solution
07-23-2014 10:55 AM
VickyIoannidi
New Contributor

Hello,

I have made a web map  with the title "Los Angeles Park Site Analysis" but I when I checked my settings (after I had changed my visibility range values, page 364) I realised that the settings did not work for my map notes (Recommended Sites). For the rest of the layers the settings work just fine.

Here is my web map http://bit.ly/1sJQLUC‌ if you want to have a look at it. I checked  the same web map made by another user

http://www.arcgis.com/home/webmap/viewer.html?webmap=b2a9de169c96438ab9a79bfad71dbf60‌ and I see that the visibility settings for Recommended Sites work fine here. The visibility range values for the the map notes of this user are same as the ones I have.

What could I have done wrong?

Best regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Eric,

The developers have made the fix and it will be available in the next public update of ArcGIS Online. Those updates occur on a pretty regular schedule, with the next one due in late September. (Not sure of the exact day.) I am sorry for the incovenience this has caused.

Tim

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Vicky,

Really sorry for not seeing your post earlier. When I open your map, I do see a visibility range setting for your map notes layer. You have to be signed in to your ArcGIS Online account to see that setting. (If you simply open the map without being signed in, you are an "anonymous user" which restricts the functionality that you see; however, it would be restricted for other layers as well, so that may not be the issue.)

Can you let me know if this is still not working for you and we can explore further?

Thanks,

Tim Ormsby

0 Kudos
VickyIoannidi
New Contributor

Dear Tim,

Thanks for your reply.

I was signed in when I set and then checked my visibility range settings.

When I zoom in and out on the Recommended Site Parcels and on the Study Area, I see that my settings work according to the values I have set in the visibility range. But this doesn't work for my Recommended Sites layer. What I mean is that I still see the map notes even when I have zoomed in on them at a very large scale.

Regards,

Vicky

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

I see what you mean--that's strange. Same thing is happening to me with a new map. One thing that's different about the other example map you mentioned (where the scale visibility worked) is that it was made back in January. I'll see what I can find out.

Tim

0 Kudos
garyogborn
New Contributor II

I am having the same issue.  Only map notes doesn't respect visibility range.  I saved my notes as a layer, but it still doesn't accept the settings.  link to map http://bit.ly/1nUBf6r

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Gary,

This functionality worked before but doesn't work now -- it's a known issue and hopefully will be fixed soon. The scale visibility doesn't work for map notes created with point, line, or text drawing tools, but does still work for notes created with the area drawing tools: Area, Triangle, Rectangle, etc. This means you can work around it in some cases--for example, use small shapes drawn with the Circle tool instead of points. But from your map, it looks like you're using the map notes to make text. I can't think of an easy workaround for that.

Tim

0 Kudos
Eric_Edgley
New Contributor II

Any updates on this issue Tim?  We could sure use this functionality back in  near future.

Eric Edgley

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Eric,

The developers have made the fix and it will be available in the next public update of ArcGIS Online. Those updates occur on a pretty regular schedule, with the next one due in late September. (Not sure of the exact day.) I am sorry for the incovenience this has caused.

Tim

0 Kudos
Eric_Edgley
New Contributor II

Thank you much Tim. Have a great day.

Eric

Eric Edgley

GIS Administrator

Utah Division of Wildlife Resources

1594 West North Temple, Suite 2110

Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6301

801-538-4765

ericedgley@utah.gov

0 Kudos
TimOrmsby
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Eric,

You've probably already checked into this, but just wanted to let you know the functionality is working now.

Tim

0 Kudos