If an app built using webapp builder (using all public items) is hosted in customer's environment, will the customer need AGOL or Portal account?

Jump to solution
07-23-2014 12:56 AM
WhereMatters
Occasional Contributor

If we develop an app using web app builder entirely with on-premise services instead of AGOL services, i.e., no credits are consumed, no authentication is required and all services are publicly available, do we still need an AGOL or Portal account to host the app?

This is possible with Flex Viewer, we could develop apps for customers and deploy it in their environment without any dependency on AGOL or Portal.

For developing using webapp builder, i know that either AGOL or Portal is required. But if we are deploying this for a customer on their webserver, do they need to purchase AGOL or Portal ?

Can we set the appID to empty string " " in the config file?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LucasDorrough
New Contributor III

Im sure with enough modification that you could do that, I modified it to take in a list of rest services in a config file like flex, but I still have to put in a portal URL for other things. For example the basemap widget makes a call to the portal to get a list of basemaps from the portal, so there would be tons of code to modify to get it fully stand alone.

Beta 2 relies even more on the portal than beta 1 did so thats the direction they are headed, ESRI is wanting to make everything connect together and pretty much revolve around the portal, not always great for every buisness, but there are some advantages to it also. We also host all on-premise rest services. But we also host our own portal on the internal network.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
LucasDorrough
New Contributor III

Short answer is yes, the apps once finised can be hosted on a webserver, the apps still make calls to the portal to get info, but a user doesnt have to be logged in.

I have experemented with removing the portal dependencey, Using rest services instead of a map ID. It worked but some functonality is crippled.

0 Kudos
WhereMatters
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lucas, thanks for your response.

I was wondering that can we use app builder in a situation where we are working entirely off of rest services that are on-premise, the way it is currently possible with flex viewer. Would we still need AGOL or Portal for publishing the app in such an environment?

0 Kudos
LucasDorrough
New Contributor III

Im sure with enough modification that you could do that, I modified it to take in a list of rest services in a config file like flex, but I still have to put in a portal URL for other things. For example the basemap widget makes a call to the portal to get a list of basemaps from the portal, so there would be tons of code to modify to get it fully stand alone.

Beta 2 relies even more on the portal than beta 1 did so thats the direction they are headed, ESRI is wanting to make everything connect together and pretty much revolve around the portal, not always great for every buisness, but there are some advantages to it also. We also host all on-premise rest services. But we also host our own portal on the internal network.