UC Presentations need tags

07-19-2014 10:26 AM
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

The UC presentations were all loaded without any tags.  As a result they are not coming up when I search for them.  This should have been done by ESRI staff when they uploaded them, but that can be remedied if we all pitch in.  These presentations are a great resource for many topics that come up in the community discussions and deserve the effort to make them searchable.

I am trying to add tags to the topics so they will come up.  I could use help getting it done.

I am trying to apply a set of universal tags like:

esri uc 2014, demo theater, technical workshop, powerpoint; presentation

I also am adding key words from the presentation topic like Python, JavaScript, Analysis, Tips and Tricks, etc. and the presenter names.

I also will be adding Agenda Topic Code tags from the pocket Agenda like TW, KEY, LID, 3DCIT, etc.

If you have other suggestions for tags let me know.  Please help me to get these presentations tagged properly so we can continue to benefit from the User Conference through the Geonet community.

10 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

If you search for:

tw_*

the UC presentation PDFs should be listed, at least for the technical workshops.

I am trying to go through them using the filters like:

tw_1*

tw_2*

etc.

0 Kudos
ChristopheCharpentier
Occasional Contributor

This is a great suggestion, I will share with my colleagues so that we can include this as part of the process next year.

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

I have completed tagging all of the presentations I found with the filter I applied.  However, looking over the UC Agenda I can see that several session presentations did not come up.  For example, I cannot find the presentation for several of the sessions I attended like:

ArcGIS API for JavaScript: An Introduction

Geoprocessing Conflation Tools: Getting Started and Building Workflows

The Roads and Highways Demo Theater sessions

ArcGIS Pro: What's New in Mapping and Visualization

Were all of the powerpoint presentations actually loaded into this subspace?

Additionally when the recordings of the session presentations are loaded, will they be loaded on to GeoNet and/or related to the presentation PDFs already posted?

ChristinaSullivan
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Richard - first of all thanks for your help in tagging these presentations. We were focused on auto-loading them into this spaces so folks could see and will have to do some clean up.

Re: the missing presentations. I'll check but we were only able to load up Esri generated presentations and it is up to the presenters outside of Esri to load their own. Hope this helps. If you know the presenters you can always ask them to be loaded. We'll be able to be more proactive with getting these in next year, but for now we'll work on playing catch up.

0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor

All of the sessions I listed in my previous post were presented by ESRI staff.  If they are uploaded then they do not come up with the filters or the keywords I have tried in the search.

Under the full Content list I cannot see if tags were applied to a topic without opening the topic.  When I do a search on this subspace I can see the tags in the search result, which made it easy to see topics I had not tagged.  So it is hard to determine if there are other presentations on this site that don't have tags if they did not come up in my search results.

In any case, please determine whether or not the sessions I mentioned were uploaded from ESRI staff.  It they were uploaded, let me know how to search for them, if searching is possible.

0 Kudos
ChristinaSullivan
Esri Regular Contributor

Hello Richard - I wanted to get back to you on this question. All of the presentation material we have received can be found Presentations to download‌. If we do not have them here, then again back to my suggestion to ask the presenters to upload would be the way to go.

0 Kudos
JeffPace
MVP Alum

Just a side note, I think it is important to communicate to the ESRI staff that uploaded the videos how important tags are.  Loading into spaces is the old way the forums worked.  The new geonet is much more dependent on tags and that needs to be communicated to ESRI staff so they can set the example.

Timothy Hales

0 Kudos
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

Jeff, I definitely agree on the importance of tags. I'll be sure to communicate that to my colleagues.

0 Kudos
ChristinaSullivan
Esri Regular Contributor

Jeff Pace‌ Hi there. I just wanted to clarify perhaps a misperception of the reliance of tags on this new site. Tags are certainly welcome and encouraged, but every word is indexed to provide the best search capabilities.  So, tags are great, but even without them the robust search engine will find things. We'll still get folks to tag and you might have noticed that the most used/frequent tag will always come up first as you start typing.

Thanks for the input!

0 Kudos