Can anyone help me figure out how to add a DEM to AGOL so that the elevations can be queried. Thanks,
What we have done in the past is convert the DEM to polygons based on elevation. That way you can load the polygon layer into ArcGIS Online then turn on Pop-ups for the elevation attributes. We also would overlay the original DEM on top of the polygon layer in ArcGIS online for visual purposes. *Note: If you have a very large DEM this method may not be as easy to do.
Hey I'm also having the same problem. When I try to convert my DEM in raster format to polygon with the "raster to polygon" tool, it returned an error. Any idea on how I can remedy this?
Let me check.. How big is your DEM?
The DEM is 58 MB.
Well, let me run you through the whole process of what I did and maybe you'd be able to provide me with more insight into the matter. I started with a TIN drawing in autoCAD, which was then exported out in LandXML. I then used the "LandXML to TIN" tool in ArcMap to create a TIN file.
From that TIN file I converted it to raster by using the "TIN to raster" tool and got a raster file with elevation data on it as my DEM.
And now I'm following your advice to convert that DEM to polygon by using the "raster to polygon" tool but that error kept popping up.
Still looking into this.. In the meantime, try converting your TIN to Polygons, should get the same effect.
We have run through the conversion tool "raster to polygon" several times over here and have not had a problem. I am guessing there is something wrong with the DEM. Maybe it happened during the conversion from TIN to DEM. The only thing I can think to try would be to try the conversion from TIN to DEM one more time and see if you get a better DEM to work with. Or try what I suggested in the previous post to convert your TIN to polygons and then just load that into ArcGIS Online. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help, it's working now.You were right, the problem was in converting the TIN to DEM.
The issue was the parameter settings when converting from TIN to raster:
Changing the setting from FLOAT (the default) to using integer helped solved the issue.
Adding a .TIF extension to the end of the file name when converting it from a TIN to raster helped too.
After these steps were done, running the raster to polygon resulted in an output with no additional errors.
Chuck, good deal. I'm glad you guys were able to figure it out. Go ahead and mark the question as answered so that the next person that has the same issue will see that there is a fix.
Retrieving data ...