Elevations Template

07-16-2014 01:13 PM
MathewSuran
New Contributor III

Does anyone have documentation on how to edit the Elevations Template to include my own features and basemap? I looked over the template, but can not seem to find where each are referencing.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MathewSuran
New Contributor III

Anyone?

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

Are you referring to the elevation profile template from ArcGIS Online?

Esri/elevation-profile-template · GitHub

If so then that template is designed to work with a web map that is created using the ArcGIS Online map viewer. The simplest approach to have the app use your data would be to create a map in the online viewer that uses your basemap and data. Once the map is created you can use the map's id and set it to the webmap value in the config/defaults.js file.

0 Kudos
MathewSuran
New Contributor III

Yes, that is the template I am referring to.  Is there any way to use that template and design a custom app to be hosted on our server bypassing AGOL? Basically, I want to utilize the layout and measure tool from the template and incorporate our own basemap, graphing, features, etc.  Is there another template I should be looking at?

0 Kudos
KellyHutchins
Esri Frequent Contributor

All of the online templates work with web maps. IT would require quite a bit of custom coding to switch from a web map to create the map without AGOL. To switch you'll need to find the logic in the template that calls the createMap method and replace that with code to add the basemap, any layers, define the popup, symbology etc. There are several samples in the ArcGIS API for JavaScript resource center that show how to add layers, define symbology etc.

ArcGIS API for JavaScript

MathewSuran
New Contributor III

Thanks for that info.  Do you know of any js tutorials that could give me a good starting point besides the API resource center?

0 Kudos