Unable to Publish Composite Locator 10.2.2

Jump to solution
07-16-2014 08:32 PM
DFESGIS
New Contributor II

Hello,

I have been struggling to publish a composite locator on ArcGIS 10.2.2.  The error says 'Locator must be register with ArcGIS Server'.  I have tried multiple ways to register the source data with ArcGIS Server:

1. Data is stored on SDE geodatabase.  The geodatabase is registered with ArcGIS Server.  Individual locators are created within the SDE.  The composite locator is also created within the SDE.  I can publish the individual locators without any errors.  When I tried to publish the composite locator, it says the composite locator itself must be register with ArcGIS Server.

2. Data is stored on a File geodatabase in a folder.  The folder and data resides on the ArcGIS Server machine and is shared with read/write permissions with the ArcGIS Server Account.  The folder is registered with ArcGIS Server.  Individual locators are created within the FGDB.  The composite locator is also created within the FGDB.  When I tried to publish the composite locator, I get the same error as above.

So, how do I actually register a composite locator with ArcGIS Server?  My local Esri support have not been able to help me.  Has anybody in the community come across this before?

Thanks...

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
williamcarr
Occasional Contributor II

After speaking to Esri support I finally got it going.

I had to go into admin settings (localserver:6080/arcgis/rest/admin).

Click on data in the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory under resources.

Then config in the Data Items page.

Under Datastore Configuration I went to update and changed true to false.

This will allow a copy of the composite locator to be loaded and published to your server. Just remember to change it back when you get done. I was told this was a known issue with version 10.2.X and should be fixed in 10.3.

Good luck.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Sounds to me like you are taking the right steps.  However, if I may suggest:

Scrap #1 all together.  SDE is a great tool with which to  edit and store data for multiple users, but in my experience, with all it's overhead, specific geoprocessing tasks are best done elsewhere.

#2 is very similar to what I do;  my SDE is the parent to a file geodatabase child in a replication workflow.  So when I update the SDE data, I just sync it down to the fgdb.  All my locators point to the FGDB data and they are individual locators as well as a composite of them all.  I publish the composite.  However, none of the locators are stored in FGDB; they are all in a directory called... Locators.

To get new data into the published composite I first shut down that service.  Then I rebuild which ever locator has newly synced data along with the composite.  Then I restart the published composite service.

See if taking the locators out of the FGDB allows you to publish the composite.  I'm not using 10.2.2 so you may have found something that no one yet knows about...

That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
DFESGIS
New Contributor II

Hi Joe,

I have tried saving both the individual locators and the composite locators into a folder outside of the FGDB.  However the composite locator still would not publish.

0 Kudos
Michael_RMiller
New Contributor II

I'm a bit late to this post, but my experience using the approach that you outline has one main problem - you have to shut down the service to rebuild the locators. However, if the locators are in an Enterprise GDB, that is not the case.

When this discussion was taking place, Bug NIM-099335 was just a few months old. Almost a year since this bug was reported, it is still an issue (for 10.2.2.).

It's frankly frustrating to have to implement a complicated workaround for something that could be accomplished two versions prior (10.0).

I totally get that file GDB is a single-user data set and enjoys less overhead, etc. But shutting down services to rebuild indices is inefficient if you like to automate such tasks (I do).

Incidentally, I'm not rubbishing your suggestion - it's a great way to avoid the issues involved in this bug and like I said, I do use it in production. But, my goal when upgrading to 10.2.2. was to automate as much as possible and shutting down services requires a password to be passed - which implies that to script it, it has to be stored somewhere. Yes, there are ways to encrypt, etc., but all of this to avoid a bug that has been on the books for almost a year.

Sorry, Esri, if this has been fixed and I've missed it. But the bug report says it's still open.

Cheers.

0 Kudos
williamcarr

I have the same issue. Did you have any luck?

0 Kudos
DFESGIS
New Contributor II

Sorry, still no luck in resolving this issue...

0 Kudos
williamcarr

After speaking to Esri support I finally got it going.

I had to go into admin settings (localserver:6080/arcgis/rest/admin).

Click on data in the ArcGIS Server Administrator Directory under resources.

Then config in the Data Items page.

Under Datastore Configuration I went to update and changed true to false.

This will allow a copy of the composite locator to be loaded and published to your server. Just remember to change it back when you get done. I was told this was a known issue with version 10.2.X and should be fixed in 10.3.

Good luck.

0 Kudos
williamcarr

sorry its  localserver:6080/arcgis/admin

0 Kudos
EricGeddes
New Contributor II

For the sake of completeness, here's the Knowledge Base article about it that discusses both v10.2 and v10.1.

43172 - "Error 00181: Locator must be registered with the server composite locator."

Solution or Workaround

Enable data to be copied to the server. 

A. ArcGIS 10.2 and above: 
1. Open ArcGIS Server Manager, and log in.
2. Click Site > GIS Server > Data Store.
3. In the Data Store Settings dialog box, check the 'Allow data to be copied to the site when publishing services' check box.
4. Click Save.

Thanks William.

0 Kudos
StanMcShinsky
Occasional Contributor III

Just to let you all know of another way to do this. I do not want to go to my server and allow for data to be copied to the server. From what I can tell when data gets copied to the server it goes into some dark hole (deep file structure) and does not go into a common place to manage my data. I had a composite locator that would not load and had the same issues you were experiencing. The locator was already on the server in a file geodatabase and AGS was not recognizing that file location as a registered place even though many other map services are coming from the same location. I found this thread on Geonet and it worked great for me.

Composite Address Locator GeoService