AnsweredAssumed Answered

Add information to attribute field

Question asked by gnikoli on Jul 12, 2014
Latest reply on Jul 13, 2014 by rfairhur24

I want to add a new field with data to attributes so that I may use that data for symbology. I created an excel file that looks exactly like the attribute table, but with an additional column that contains the new information. The project is a soils map. A field called MUKEY contains values that correlate to a soil classification. The Excel file contains a soil classification for each unique FID value. How do I get the soil classification information into the shp or mxd file so that I can use it to assign colors to polygons within the symbology dialogue? Arcmap 10.1. (I am using NRCS soil survey tools to create thematic maps, but ultimately, I want to combine several survey areas into a single KML file, and to do that, I think I need to get to a single layer that I can use the conversion tool on. The way the NRCS soil viewer adds data to maps does not seem to lend itself to such a conversion. A single survey area would have probably been fine, but I have had to stitch together multiple survey areas due to size limit for any single one.)

Outcomes