can't set the simulator to iPAD

08-08-2010 02:30 AM
TigerLeung
New Contributor II
Hey guys,

I installed iPhone sdk 4.0 and AGS for iOS 1.0 (7/2 version). However, when I clicked on the View-based AGS Mapping Application, I was not given options of the simulators (iPhone or iPad). Even I created a project, the app was locked to run on the iPhone simulator. Did this happen to anybody else? Am I missing anything?

Thanks,
iNewbie
0 Kudos
3 Replies
HarikantJammi
New Contributor
click on the blue icon of the project, then click on the blue "i" button on the top bar, you will see all the build settings. Now change the base sdk to iphone sim 3.2. Change in the similar way for targets also.
0 Kudos
TigerLeung
New Contributor II
Thank you for reply.

I did what you suggested. What I got was the iphone window run in the iPad simulator. The main window in MainWindow.xib is actually at the iphone size. Under the ~Library/SDKs/ArcGIS, I only saw iphonesimulator.sdk and iphoneos.sdk. Isn't the ipadsimulator.sdk supposed to be there too? ESRI said the sdk supported iPad. I hope it didn't mean that iPhone apps run inside an iPad device. I guess the AGS wizard created a new project with iPhone as the default.

Anyway, I created a view-based project for iPad and manually added each AGS component into the project. It worked. But is there any other way?
0 Kudos
JeffPapirtis
New Contributor III
Thank you for reply.

I did what you suggested. What I got was the iphone window run in the iPad simulator. The main window in MainWindow.xib is actually at the iphone size. Under the ~Library/SDKs/ArcGIS, I only saw iphonesimulator.sdk and iphoneos.sdk. Isn't the ipadsimulator.sdk supposed to be there too? ESRI said the sdk supported iPad. I hope it didn't mean that iPhone apps run inside an iPad device. I guess the AGS wizard created a new project with iPhone as the default.

Anyway, I created a view-based project for iPad and manually added each AGS component into the project. It worked. But is there any other way?

If you are trying to build just an iPad applicaiton you can follow these steps to convert from the iPhone to iPad.

If you are trying to build an iPad app only, follow these steps to set up a project that usese the iPad Screen size and the 3.2 OS. 
You will need to make some changes to the project.
1. Create a new project from the ESRI templates.
a. This will automatically default to iPhone and iOS4.
Name your project and save
2. In xCode open  Project and select �??Edit Project Settings�?�
3. Under the Build Tab Change the �??Base SDK to �??iPhone Device 3.2.
4. Scroll down into the �??Deployment Group�?� and change the Targeted Device Family from �??iPhone�?� to �??iPad�?�
layerOptions
5. Close the window and go back to xCode.
6. From xCode open the MainWindow.xib.  This will launch Interface Builder.
7. It will look like an iPhone screen.
8. Select Window so it is highlighted.
9. Select �??File�?� from the Tool bar and then select �??Create iPad Version�?�
10.   Once you have done this you will see a new window that is iPad sized.
11. This new Window will be untitled.
12. On your keyboard hold �??Command�?� & �??S�?� to save the new window.
13. Navigate to where your mainWindow.xib is located for you project.
14.  Select the MainWindow.xib.  This will populate the Save As box to read MainWindow.xib.
a. you will be replacing the MainWindow.xib file with the iPad version.
15. Select Save.
16. You will be asked if you want to replace the existing MainWindow.xib.  Select Replace.
17. Close Interface Builder.
18. From xCode, open the MainWindow.xib file. 
19. This will launch Interface builder with the iPad sized application window.
20. Repeat the steps for Interface builder for your other xib files in the project.  In this example I would need to go through Steps 6 �?? 18.
21. Instead of choosing MainWindow.xib, choose the name of the xib file you want to convert.  In this case ipadVersionViewController.xib.  Save and replace the current version.
You can follow these steps to create iPad versions from all of the ESRI templates. 
Good Luck!  Hope this is what you were looking for.

xCode Project attached.
0 Kudos