Playa

LiDAR Terrain: Burninng Streams and Building Walls

Discussion created by Playa on Jun 15, 2014
Latest reply on Jun 17, 2014 by MBoucher21
I've found numerous articles that speak about "Burning Streams" and "Building Walls" as part of reconditioning a DTM, epsecially within an Urban Environment. What I've not found is a best practices document that explains how to implement the follwowing within an Urban Environment.

My study area has gentle slopes and has man made structures (Bridges and Culverts) within it. I've attached a print screen of a section of my study area that I'm working within. The section displays a road section that has multiple culverts along the road section to ensure the overland flows doesn't go over the road. I've burned streams (culverts) along the roads where the culverts are located to get Arc Hydro to generate the drainage lines at the following locations, but the drainage lines are still crossing the road surface. I'm not familiar in using the "Burn Stream" in combination with "Build Walls" to ensure the flow goes through the culverts and not over the road section.

If anyone that is familiar with the following workflow especially within an Urban Environment, I'd greatly appreciate your advice and assistance. I'm looking for a workflow in being able to generate a hydrologically correct DTM from my LiDAR Terrain for use within Arc Hydro.

Regards

Outcomes