thomas.uk

Arcgis Layer to KML (google earth)

Discussion created by thomas.uk on Jun 13, 2014
Latest reply on Sep 18, 2014 by chris18
Hi there,

I've been struggling for ages trying to export a layer file (either vector or image to google earth).
I have been using Layer to KML export function but the result is always wrong.
I'm in the uk so the original layer is in OSTNO2 coordinates. I've try to export to different coordinates system but it's always out on the same location wrong by a few ten's of meter. As you can see below my outline should fit within the field and not be on the road!!!

I've attached a zipped folder which contain the layer file, the origin shapefile and the kml exported.

After trying for ages I gave up thinking that there is some projection incompatibility between ArcGIS and google earth and I was surprised to find no solution on internet of a problem that I imagine would be very common.
But this week I had a demonstration from a sales man working for trimble. We processed some GPS data using Trimble Business Office. And by a simple clic, all our data within TBO were display on google earth with very good accuracy.

So this let me to think that they MUST be a way to do the same with my layer and shapefile in ArcGIS. I would be greatfull to hear if you have the same issue or know how to solve it!

Thanks

Attachments

Outcomes