multimodal transport switches

06-12-2014 11:00 PM
nadeemfareed
New Contributor II
dear all experts and scholar,
i have a unique issue while preparing and working on network datasets. i have two datasets one for road travel and 2nd for rail travel, there are switches between rail and road to switch from one network on another network. this is about dataset i have. but i need a special kind of functionality for this network. condation1: when start point and end point both are on road network route must be on road network. condation2: when start point and end point both are on rail network route must be on rail network. condation3: when one point is on rail network and other on rail network then route use the switch between two networks to shrift. so far i am unable to implement these condations so far.
problem: the route do not follow above rules and draw a route which is more favorable[ATTACH=CONFIG]34566[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
Here are a few ideas:

1) Create a rail-only restriction and a road-only restriction on your network.  If you know in advance where your input points are located (on the roads, on the rails, or on both), you can turn on or off the appropriate restrictions before running the analysis.

2) On the features that connect the rail lines with the road lines, invoke a large impedance penalty to discourage transitions between the two.  This way, it's very likely that two points on roads will use only roads for the route, two points on rails will use only rails to connect, but a point on the road and another point on the rail will be forced to make a transition somewhere even though it's penalized.
0 Kudos
nadeemfareed
New Contributor II
Here are a few ideas:

1) Create a rail-only restriction and a road-only restriction on your network.  If you know in advance where your input points are located (on the roads, on the rails, or on both), you can turn on or off the appropriate restrictions before running the analysis.

2) On the features that connect the rail lines with the road lines, invoke a large impedance penalty to discourage transitions between the two.  This way, it's very likely that two points on roads will use only roads for the route, two points on rails will use only rails to connect, but a point on the road and another point on the rail will be forced to make a transition somewhere even though it's penalized.

great idea. but i also have no idea to how to set the impedance on the network. please mentioned some simple tricks and steps to me. your contribution will be highly appreciated. thanks
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
The best thing for you to do is to start with our Network Analyst tutorials, available here:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00470000005r000000
0 Kudos
nadeemfareed
New Contributor II
The best thing for you to do is to start with our Network Analyst tutorials, available here:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00470000005r000000

yes i have seen the tutorials you have mentioned but they are too lengthy and complex to understand the things precisely.
i have set the hierarchy on the network but network solver do not follow the same as i desire. tell me the solution how to make a function class much resist to travel let say i want function class 4 more resist and network only follow this line when other options are not available for the route. i have four function classes 1,2,3 and 4. in network dataset i want to make function class 4 more resist and least traveled. this class must be used when other options for routing are not available.
this will help me a lot to achieve what i am trying to do. i need technical detail beside ideas. i mean real example how to play or add something on network dataset to make it exactly what i am looking for.
0 Kudos
MelindaMorang
Esri Regular Contributor
You can set up an impedance attribute on your network, and you can calculate that impedance differently for each input feature class (roads, rails, etc.).  To do this, you need to understand how network attributes and evaluators work:
About network attributes: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Understanding_network_attributes/004700000...
About evaluators: http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#//00470000000n000000
0 Kudos