Normalize Raster? Is this what I want?

06-10-2014 08:48 AM
DanielSchweitzer
New Contributor
I have revenue generated in 2012 and 2013. I plot these points on a map, then interpolate to raster. I use a color ramp, stretched to symbolize like from red to green. In my case it's revenue per well, per day.

I want to show hot spots in the Utica play. If I want to compare a quarter relative to another quarter or year, I'm not sure what to do. The color ramp us stretched from min to max, right?  So the ramp is relative to itself, even if I use standard deviations or histogram, I assume.  In my simple mind, if the high in 2012 is 120k per day, and I wanted to standardize the data to that year, then the 45k high of 2013 would not be green, it would be somewhere else down the color ramp (ideally where it would be on the 2012 plot). Am I making any sense?

Can I accomplish this somehow?
0 Kudos
1 Reply
DanielAmrine
Occasional Contributor

Daniel,

You want your final product to look like the PDF you attached? The post is unclear on what you are aiming for.

From you post the quickest approach would be to dived your data into quarters, and then grid each quarter. That would be the initial step.

You could also use Classification (under Symbology -> Classified) to customize the classes so they only show specific value ranges. If you wanted to highlight areas with revenue higher than 10,000$/day you would place a class at 10,000 and it would dived the data into areas below 10,000 and areas greater than 10,000.

I would also look into the 2 wells that produced 120K/day in 2012, they seem out of place and don't match the wells around them. Check the data behind it and make sure it is valid.

In my experience with Oil and Gas and making maps for the Non-GIS users in the company I have learned that simplicity is the best way to help them understand your map. You have to ask if it is worth separating it into quarters when the maps you attached tell a good story.

0 Kudos