House numbers join to street names

06-02-2014 07:40 AM
ChristieRajtarova
New Contributor II
HI!

I've been struggling with this problem for a few days now and would like some suggestions or advice so I don't have to edit over 5k records by hand.

I have cad drawings of city lots (labeled by house numbers) and street names.
I can import these into ArcMap without a problem and spatially join house numbers (as pts) to the corresponding lot polygons (Also- as you can see in the img, the house numbers are on the side of the lot adjacent to the street they belong to).
I attached an image of what I want to do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34264[/ATTACH]

I imported the street names as pts into Arc as well, however I can't join these logically as 1:many since my "road polygon" is one continuous polygon. What I wanted to do was spatially join these by boundary eventually.
What I need to do is somehow add these street names to the house numbers.

I was thinking of adding polylines to the CAD dwg however this would take me a very long time and I wouldnt be able to ensure integrity of the new dwg.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
Your best bet is to try and find street centerlines that you can bring into your map.  then join the address points to the centerline that is closest to it to create a new point feature.

Otherwise, if it is only 5000 points that need to be joined to the street names you should be able to edit that out in no time.

I would suggest creating a separate street name column for the points.  then with a definition query make it so only points wiht a null street name are visible. 

For your street name points make only the street name visible and with the exact same attribute name as the address point.

then select points and street point and transfer attributes.

or create a model that will update the selected street name in the address points based on the street name  point.
Sounds daunting but you should be able to knock it out in a day or two.

HI!

I've been struggling with this problem for a few days now and would like some suggestions or advice so I don't have to edit over 5k records by hand.

I have cad drawings of city lots (labeled by house numbers) and street names.
I can import these into ArcMap without a problem and spatially join house numbers (as pts) to the corresponding lot polygons (Also- as you can see in the img, the house numbers are on the side of the lot adjacent to the street they belong to).
I attached an image of what I want to do.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]34264[/ATTACH]

I imported the street names as pts into Arc as well, however I can't join these logically as 1:many since my "road polygon" is one continuous polygon. What I wanted to do was spatially join these by boundary eventually.
What I need to do is somehow add these street names to the house numbers.

I was thinking of adding polylines to the CAD dwg however this would take me a very long time and I wouldnt be able to ensure integrity of the new dwg.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!!
0 Kudos