Open Explorer App

05-06-2014 07:03 PM
JosephJose
New Contributor III
Installed Explorer. When I login a repeated message comes infinitely. Even waiting doesn't help.

The message is "Failed to Open, the map '[null]' could not be opened. Opening the default map".

See attachment for details.

ArcGIS and Collector works fine for me. Expecting your help
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
NickBlack
Esri Contributor
Hi Joseph,

We're sorry to hear you're having a problem with Explorer and thanks for reporting it to us.

When you first open the app- we try and load the default basemap from your organization. So it's likely to be a problem retrieving the default basemap, or the type of basemap that is the issue. Could you please provide more details about your organizations default basemap?

Also, I notice from the screenshot you are using a 3G connection- could you please verify if this also happens over wi-fi? Try killing the app (double tap on the home button and swipe up to kill the app) and reopen the app once you are connected to wi-fi.

Thanks again for your help.
Nick
0 Kudos
JosephJose
New Contributor III
Hi Nick

I tried the Wi-Fi but it's of no help.

Can you tell me how do I get details of the organization basemap?

Not sure if you can access it but the details are as below

1. I am trying to view the map at location
http://aucklandcouncil.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=c097947ece194c51b81de79422988e49

2. I normally use the basemap
http://maps.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz/ArcGIS/rest/services/Aerials/MapServer

Tell me if I can improve for you to improve on the same.

Thanks & Regds
Joseph

Hi Joseph,

We're sorry to hear you're having a problem with Explorer and thanks for reporting it to us.

When you first open the app- we try and load the default basemap from your organization. So it's likely to be a problem retrieving the default basemap, or the type of basemap that is the issue. Could you please provide more details about your organizations default basemap?

Also, I notice from the screenshot you are using a 3G connection- could you please verify if this also happens over wi-fi? Try killing the app (double tap on the home button and swipe up to kill the app) and reopen the app once you are connected to wi-fi.

Thanks again for your help.
Nick
0 Kudos
NickBlack
Esri Contributor
Joseph,

Thanks for the extra info. The default basemap is set in the organization settings.

Sign in to the AGOL organization as an admin, and click on "My Organization". Above the list of users you will see a button to "Edit Settings". See image:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33664[/ATTACH]

You will then see some vertical tabs- click on "Map" and you should see the "Basemap Gallery" and "Default Basemap" sections listed on the right hand side. The default basemap can be selected from the specified basemap gallery group. See image:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]33665[/ATTACH]

I can't access the map you specified in 1, as it's not shared publicly. However, I did manage to create a map successfully with a basemap using the service you specified in 2.

Regards,
Nick
0 Kudos
JosephJose
New Contributor III
Thanks for the feedback. Let me check if I can share my map.
Creating the map is fine with me also. I can open it in Collector and ArcGIS.

Could you open it in Explorer?
0 Kudos
NickBlack
Esri Contributor
Joseph,

To clarify- I could open the map I created with Explorer, with the basemap you specified and it looked fine.

I still cannot open the map you shared due to permissions - can you double check it is public? Also, did you manage to check the default basemap in the organization - what was the result?

Thanks,
Nick
0 Kudos
JosephJose
New Contributor III
Hi Nick.

Your recommendations worked as there was no basemaps set
0 Kudos