Help!! Add ArcGIS Server

Jump to solution
04-03-2014 08:04 AM
MayhuiXie
New Contributor II
I had just installed ArcGIS Desktop 10.2 and ArcGIS Server 10.2  successfully today, and then I opened the ArcCatalog and wanted
to add ArcGIS Server to publish a map service, and an error happened, " We are unable to connect to: http:localhost:6080/arcgis/services. Error??Bad syntax in request". And I don't know how solve this problem, does any one have met this problem before ? I hope any one can share any ideal or suggestion with me, and thank you very much!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32779[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MayhuiXie
New Contributor II
Thank you for your answer, and I did install the ArcGIS for Desktop in the same machine as the ArcGIS for Server, but not the same account, the ArcGIS for Server is running in the account of arcgis.
And I have to say I made a big mistake when I tried to publish a GIS service, because I found that I forgot to create a new site before I want to add or publish a GIS service, which is very different from the version of arcgis 10.0.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32803[/ATTACH]

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
I assume that ArcGIS for Desktop is installed on the same machine as ArcGIS for Server; is that right?
What happens if you remove the username and password when trying to make the basic User connection? 
Does the Services Directory correctly appear when you request http://localhost:6080/arcgis/rest/services directly from a web browser on the server on which ArcGIS for Server is installed?
0 Kudos
MayhuiXie
New Contributor II
Thank you for your answer, and I did install the ArcGIS for Desktop in the same machine as the ArcGIS for Server, but not the same account, the ArcGIS for Server is running in the account of arcgis.
And I have to say I made a big mistake when I tried to publish a GIS service, because I found that I forgot to create a new site before I want to add or publish a GIS service, which is very different from the version of arcgis 10.0.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]32803[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Yes, starting at 10.1 you need to create your Site in order to publish services.  At 10.0 and earlier, this wasn't required because the architecture was much different.  Before you publish your Site though, remember to register your data stores (e.g., SDE connection files or Folders containing FGDBs) with ArcGIS for Server so that your services publish correctly without the system automatically copying your data to the GIS server.  I'm glad you got things working.  In the forums, don't forget to vote up helpful answers and mark correct answers!
0 Kudos
MayhuiXie
New Contributor II
Yes, starting at 10.1 you need to create your Site in order to publish services.  At 10.0 and earlier, this wasn't required because the architecture was much different.  Before you publish your Site though, remember to register your data stores (e.g., SDE connection files or Folders containing FGDBs) with ArcGIS for Server so that your services publish correctly without the system automatically copying your data to the GIS server.  I'm glad you got things working.  In the forums, don't forget to vote up helpful answers and mark correct answers!

Thank you for your advice, and I'm sorry for reply you so late!
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
Please mark the correct answer with the green check to the right of the appropriate post.  Thank you!
0 Kudos