Field calculator results in "failure during geoprocessing"

Jump to solution
03-24-2014 07:19 AM
IsaacBoates
New Contributor
I have a dataset containing roads with one-way information labelled only as "yes", "no", or blank.  Every road that is one-way is in the direction of digitization.  I created a new field called "oneway2" and did a select-by-attributes on everything where the original "oneway" field was 'yes'.  Then I tried to use the field calculator to set the field "oneway2" to 'FT' so that it will conform to the default network analyst settings.  The oneway2 field is Text length 50

Every time I do it, however, I get an error that says "There was a failure during processing, check the Geoprocessing Results window for details."

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.  I just put 'FT' into the field calculator for that field (with single quotes).  The output is attached but it just gives an ambiguous "syntax error".

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoshuaChisholm
Occasional Contributor III
Try double quotes. I think VB only takes double quotes.

Alternatively, you could switch the Parser to Python. Python will take single or double quotes (because it's awesome).

Let me know if it works out. Good luck!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
JoshuaChisholm
Occasional Contributor III
Try double quotes. I think VB only takes double quotes.

Alternatively, you could switch the Parser to Python. Python will take single or double quotes (because it's awesome).

Let me know if it works out. Good luck!
0 Kudos
IsaacBoates
New Contributor
Haha, oh wow I feel like a dummy.  That worked, thanks.
0 Kudos