Weird Symbols when using Print

02-26-2014 11:26 AM
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
I am using ArcGIS Server 10.2.1 with Internet Explorer Browser and the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I created a custom Print Geoprocessing Service set to export map to PDF as the default. It works fine.

But, when I view the results after creating a PDF from Flex Viewer 3.6 the Map Point Symbols in the Legend look very strange. Nothing like they show on the map. The Map Line Symbol shows up good in the legend. It is just the Point Symbols that do not look right.

Any ideas why this is happening?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos
RobertBorchert
Frequent Contributor III
You probably need to install the fonts on the machine that are being used. They are is a large selection of ESRI Fonts that are associated with the document.

Or you may be able to embed the fonts in the PDF when exporting.

I am using ArcGIS Server 10.2.1 with Internet Explorer Browser and the latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader.

I created a custom Print Geoprocessing Service set to export map to PDF as the default. It works fine.

But, when I view the results after creating a PDF from Flex Viewer 3.6 the Map Point Symbols in the Legend look very strange. Nothing like they show on the map. The Map Line Symbol shows up good in the legend. It is just the Point Symbols that do not look right.

Any ideas why this is happening?
0 Kudos
TimHayes
Occasional Contributor III
The link was helpful. But, it says to log into ArcGIS Server Manager and change the default printer page size settings.

I looked around inside ArcGIS Server Manager and cannot find where this can be done. I checked under the PrintingTools Geoprocessing Service and the 2 Custom Print Geoprocessing Services I created.

Is it done by setting the default page size for the Server Machine (done outside of ArcGIS Server Manager)? or on each client machine? (I hope I do not have to change the default page size on each client machine as there are over 100 PCs I would have to change)

I found this link: http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40538

But, the problem is my Server Machine where ArcGIS for Server is hosted is not connected to any printer and has no printer drivers/ports installed on it.
0 Kudos
TanuHoque
Esri Regular Contributor
But, it says to log into ArcGIS Server Manager and change the default printer page size settings.

You need to log on to your server machine using "ArcGIS Server Account" user.
Sorry, if there is such confusion.

Is it done by setting the default page size for the Server Machine (done outside of ArcGIS Server Manager)? or on each client machine?

yep, on the server machine, not on each client machine.

But, the problem is my Server Machine where ArcGIS for Server is hosted is not connected to any printer and has no printer drivers/ports installed on it.

you don't need to have the server machine connected to any printer. All you need is to install a printer/plotter driver on your server machine, make that the "default printer" and change the "default paper size" of that printer something large enough to fit the largest layout available in your printing service (don't forget about the paper orientation).
0 Kudos