SelwynGIS

Question about spatial views in ArcGIS 10.1

Discussion created by SelwynGIS on Feb 12, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 18, 2014 by mboeringa2010
Hello,

We have an enterprise geodatabase in SQL server which was created in ArcGIS 10.0. From the time we created this, we have created spatial views in this database using the sdetable -o create_view command combining fields from more than one table in the same database.

In the last year, we have upgraded our Client applications and our ArcGIS server to version 10.1.  We have not upgraded the geodatabase at this point and still use the sdetable -o create_view command to create spatial views. 

I'm struggling to understand at this point the correct method for creating spatial views at 10.1.  I have tried using the new view option when you right click a database connection and specify a query; When I do this, it creates a query table instead of a spatial view despite specifying the ObjectID and shape field in the view query.  ArcMap can't seem to determine the ObjectID field when I try to add it to the map either, so I get a dialog box asking to select a unique identifier field every time I add it to the map.

What is the correct way to create a spatial view at 10.1? Should I just continue to use the sde command on my database server to do this?

Attachments

Outcomes