dmede

OD Cost Matrix issues, need help with my setup, files attached

Discussion created by dmede on Jan 31, 2014
Latest reply on Feb 5, 2014 by dmede
I'm helping a student run a simple OD Cost Matrix looking at the distances between homes in a village and all of the wells in the village along paths and roads.

The student has digitized the "road" network. It's very simple and has been checked for geometry errors (none found).

Following the help for Network Datasets on the resource center we created the ND, set a single attribute for length, set the evaluators values to our length attribute... created the ND and started the OD cost matrix tool.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.2/index.html#/Exercise_1_Creating_a_network_dataset/00470000005t000000/

But running the OD cost matrix tool has returned two different erroneous results. 1st, initially we used default settings and got back an error box saying that none of our origins found destinations. After changing the OD analysis settings for attribute parameters (to include all end points, vertices, and mid line junctions), we got back results but the link table showed that not all locations were being connected (each home shoudl have 35 wells linked) and the distances appear to be straight line, nit along the network (the actual distances not the links they draw).

I've successfully run OD cost matrix in the past but using a regular street network built for ND analysis. I'm assuming there is something about our network that is the issue but I can't figure it out.

I'm attaching a map pack with the files for investigation if any one would like to give it a try and let me know what we are doing wrong. There are two road layers in here, the major or original data, and the "minor" with extra paths that link the homes directly to the network.

David

Attachments

Outcomes