Can't create new GDB (Server 10.2.1 Postgre 9.2)

01-28-2014 09:56 AM
AndrewBlakey
New Contributor III
I just set up a new AWS instance, set up an SSH connection, and changed the postgresql passwords for sde, owner, postgres.  I want to create a new GDB using the Create Enterprise Database tool in Catalog 10.2.1.  I try to and it just hangs for hours at a step seen in the interface below.

The GDB is created but it is not spatially set up and therefore will not accept rasters or do anything fancier than tables and basic Feature Classes.

Any suggestions?  I'm a bit frustrated by how much the documentation varies from reality when I log in and navigate the interface.  Ie. drive mounts are different names now, directories vary, etc.
0 Kudos
2 Replies
tKasiaTuszynska
New Contributor III

Andrew,

Creating a gdb from Catalog against a Postgres instance in the cloud can be painful, ArcCatalog communicating to the instance and back will be very slow and can eventually time out. Sorry you are incurring frustration. The only thing I would recommend would be to execute the python tool to create a gdb locally on the amazon instance where postgres is installed. You can copy and paste the python syntax right out of documentation.

Sincerely,

Kasia

0 Kudos
SamuelTompsett
Occasional Contributor II

Andrew,

Have you tried creating the database from PostgreSQL then running the enable geodatabase tool? The enable geodatabase tool creates the repository tables, therefore spatially enabling it.

Hope that helps!

0 Kudos