Simplify Polygon tool is filling holes in polygon

Jump to solution
01-23-2014 11:46 PM
RadekChuran
New Contributor
Hi, I am working with a polygon layer of forest. I need this layer to be simplified. However no matter which algorithm or how big offset I use in Simplify Polygon tool the resulting layer contains filled holes in polygon even though they are definitely bigger to be ok with the offset (which i tried to set even for 50 meters). And moreover some holes are left as they were.
I am including and image with both layers.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]30797[/ATTACH]
Is there any way how to make things working well? (that means keep the holes)
Thanks for any hint.
PS: The layer is really containing just one multipart polygon.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LeonardLuz3
Occasional Contributor
Hi, I am working with a polygon layer of forest. I need this layer to be simplified. However no matter which algorithm or how big offset I use in Simplify Polygon tool the resulting layer contains filled holes in polygon even though they are definitely bigger to be ok with the offset (which i tried to set even for 50 meters). And moreover some holes are left as they were.
Thanks for any hint.

Have you tried running the check/repair geometry tool to that feature class? I'm suspecting geometry errors cause this kind of behavior.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
LeonardLuz3
Occasional Contributor
Thanks for any hint.

Have you tried running the check/repair geometry tool to that feature class? I'm suspecting geometry errors cause this kind of behavior.
0 Kudos
RadekChuran
New Contributor
Thanks Leonard! It really worked. Although Checking geometry didn't show any errors. After Repair geometry tool I was able to simplify polygon as I wanted. There were messages about self intersecting in Results windows. Even though this error should no longer be considered as an error if I understood right. But the main thing is that it works 🙂
0 Kudos