2 Servers / 1 WebAdaptor

01-06-2014 11:39 AM
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III
I'm trying to wrap my head around this concept.

Our current setup is two servers. One LITERALLY located outside the firewall, for public and internal consumption of specific maps. The other is inside for internal maps only.

We are currently running 9.3
We are moving to 10.1.
I feel like the way that things will go is as follows...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]30298[/ATTACH]

External Customer / Request
1) External customer requests webmap
2) Request proceeds to Web Adaptor
3) Web Adaptor cleans the request
4) Web Adaptor passes the request back to Flex Server
5) Flex Server receives and processes request
6) Flex Server passes final product back to Web Adaptor
7) Web Adaptor returns product to External customer

Internal Customer / Request
1) Internal customer requests webmap
2) Request proceeds to Flex Server
3) Flex Server receives and processes request
4) Flex Server passes final product back to Internal customer

Do I have this correct?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
NathanHeick
Occasional Contributor II
There are other benefits to using the Web Adaptor internally, as well.  For one thing, it can be used to host the ArcGIS Services on port 80 instead of 6080, helping mask the actual server endpoints.  This also lets you restrict access to the administrative REST interface to port 6080.  Most importantly, you can use it to set up Windows Authentication in IIS.  In general, the Web Adaptor acts as a proxy to your actual ArcGIS Server.  I think you still have some more architectural options externally, but I don't know architecture well enough to make any recommendations.  Definitely, consider the Web Adaptor internally, as well.
0 Kudos
BrianO_keefe
Occasional Contributor III
Well, my big question is : Does the web adaptor let me keep ALL of my maps (Internal AND External) in ONE directory on ONE server and then serve external customers through the web adaptor and internal straight through the ArcGIS Server?

Or do I have to store my external flex maps on the Web Adaptor Server and internal on my ArcGIS Server?
0 Kudos