The performance of cached services with exploded\compact storage format,

12-10-2013 10:48 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
The performance of cached services with exploded\compact storage format,

I couldn???t figure out to which percent the performance of cached services with EXPLODED storage format is better than the cached services with COMPACT storage.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29733[/ATTACH]

Thank you

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Tags (2)
5 Replies
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Jamal,

From my experience there is no noticeable difference between the two. What is better when using compact caches is copying caches from one server to another, i.e. From your development system to your production system. As the cache is in bundles it is a lot quicker to copy than millions of small individual files.

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal,

From my experience there is no noticeable difference between the two. What is better when using compact caches is copying caches from one server to another, i.e. From your development system to your production system. As the cache is in bundles it is a lot quicker to copy than millions of small individual files.

Regards

Anthony

Thanks Anthony,

I got that exploded storage format has better performance but needs huge size in the hard drive. In return, the compact storage format takes less size on the hard disk but slower when accessed.

Do you agree on this in general?
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
AnthonyGiles
Frequent Contributor
Jamal,

I would guess that accessing the compact cache may be slightly slower as it is essentially acting like a zip file and the server has to get to the file inside, but the speed this is done at does not have any noticeable effect from my experience.

You are correct on the size this is due to the minimum cluster size on a disk (4kb), even if the file is smaller (<4kb) it will still use that minimum size on the disk, so clustering many files together will negate this problem

Regards

Anthony
0 Kudos
NidhinKarthikeyan
Occasional Contributor III
I had encountered performance issues while using Exploded cache storage format.

However Compact cache storage format will be better, when you are map caching in multiple machines and to copy the cache files from one machine to other.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
I had encountered performance issues while using Exploded cache storage format.

However Compact cache storage format will be better, when you are map caching in multiple machines and to copy the cache files from one machine to other.

Thank you very much Anthony and Nidhin for the useful information. Then I�??ll go for compact storage format.

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos