Publishing the non-spatial data (tables) in the ArcGIS Server,

12-06-2013 09:34 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Publishing the non-spatial data (tables) in the ArcGIS Server,

I couldn???t figure out why the published non-spatial data (tables) don???t appear in the web mapping application.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29661[/ATTACH]

What might be the issue here?

Thank you

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
I don't think tables published via an ArcGIS map service will appear in the TOC of a web application.  To consume the table information, I think you would need to perform an action such as an identify if the table was related or joined to a feature class.  Tables are not layers so they aren't really visible to the application per se.  In other words, just because you can publish it in a map service does not mean that it is consumable in the same way that a map layer would be.  That being said, you may be able to add the table to your map document as an XY event layer if it has X and Y columns in order to publish it and view its spatial contents within the web application.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
I don't think tables published via an ArcGIS map service will appear in the TOC of a web application.  To consume the table information, I think you would need to perform an action such as an identify if the table was related or joined to a feature class.  Tables are not layers so they aren't really visible to the application per se.  In other words, just because you can publish it in a map service does not mean that it is consumable in the same way that a map layer would be.  That being said, you may be able to add the table to your map document as an XY event layer if it has X and Y columns in order to publish it and view its spatial contents within the web application.

Many thanks William for the answer,

In one to many relationship, it is very common task to search by attribute from the non-spatial data and then to find its corresponding features in the layer. Then how such task can be performed in the environment of the web mapping application if tables are not visible?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]29669[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]29670[/ATTACH]
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
WilliamCraft
MVP Regular Contributor
This functionality is more dependent upon your web mapping application or the API you may be using.  I am not sure how to do this with GeoCortex.  If your database relationships are set up properly, I think the next place to focus is on how to expose those relationships based on the application itself. 

One thing to try might be building a Query Layer in the map document before publishing the service.  The query layer would need to be a join between your spatial data and your non-spatial data.  Otherwise, you can build a spatial view at the RDBMS level using the SDETABLE command (and edit the view's SQL via your RDBMS tools later if you wish).  In either case, those would become layers in your map document.  However, since you mentioned a 1-to-many relationship then I am not sure how much this would benefit you.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
This functionality is more dependent upon your web mapping application or the API you may be using.  I am not sure how to do this with GeoCortex.  If your database relationships are set up properly, I think the next place to focus is on how to expose those relationships based on the application itself. 

One thing to try might be building a Query Layer in the map document before publishing the service.  The query layer would need to be a join between your spatial data and your non-spatial data.  Otherwise, you can build a spatial view at the RDBMS level using the SDETABLE command (and edit the view's SQL via your RDBMS tools later if you wish).  In either case, those would become layers in your map document.  However, since you mentioned a 1-to-many relationship then I am not sure how much this would benefit you.

Thank you very much William for the help,

Fortunately, the Geocortex has the ability to apply the one-many relationship without the need to go through the ArcGIS Server

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31823[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]31824[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]31825[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]31827[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]31828[/ATTACH]
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos