Make ArcMap Addin button image bigger?

10-01-2013 01:59 AM
PaulFreeman
New Contributor
Hi,

I have developed a toolbar with 2 buttons using visual studio 2010 for 10.1, in the buttons i want to have an image that contains text like this [ATTACH=CONFIG]27925[/ATTACH] but when it loads they are squashed into a 16px x 16px square and are completely unreadable

Is there anyway to make the button bigger than the defined 16px x 16px?

I originally developed it in visual studio 2012 for 10.2 and it worked ok, but due to limitations of 3rd party addins we have to stick with 10.1, any help would be much appreciated.

Answer: it seems it is not possible but to achieve it with text only  i have removed the image attribute from the button tag in config.esriaddinx and this has allowed just the text to show which weirdly has resized the button.
0 Kudos
6 Replies
NeilClemmons
Regular Contributor III
The size of a standard toolbar button is a user setting in ArcMap.  If you want something larger than that then you can create your own custom toolbar control by implementing ICommand and IToolbarControl and creating a UserControl using the standard Form button.  I don't use add-ins so I'm not sure if there is an add-in equivalent to that.
0 Kudos
JohnStephens
Occasional Contributor
If you are using text and not an image, why don't you change the display to show "Text Only"?

Go into "Customize" and right click the button. And select "Text Only" instead of Default Style.  Then it will show the "Name" of the add-in which you can adjust right there.

There is probably a way to set that as the default when the tool is added, but I do not know how to do that.
0 Kudos
AlexanderGray
Occasional Contributor III
Yes you can set a button to text only on the toolbar, use the ICommandItem.style property.  However, this is not really the original question.  You can switch arcmap to display all the buttons bigger in Customize\customize mode under options tab, but the images are still 16X16 so they just look coarser.  Having 32x32 icons is long, long overdue...  Unless you are willing to do what Neil suggested, you are kid of stuck.
0 Kudos
PaulFreeman
New Contributor
The size of a standard toolbar button is a user setting in ArcMap.  If you want something larger than that then you can create your own custom toolbar control by implementing ICommand and IToolbarControl and creating a UserControl using the standard Form button.  I don't use add-ins so I'm not sure if there is an add-in equivalent to that.

Thanks for that, I will investigate this approach.
0 Kudos
PaulFreeman
New Contributor
Yes you can set a button to text only on the toolbar, use the ICommandItem.style property.  However, this is not really the original question.  You can switch arcmap to display all the buttons bigger in Customize\customize mode under options tab, but the images are still 16X16 so they just look coarser.  Having 32x32 icons is long, long overdue...  Unless you are willing to do what Neil suggested, you are kid of stuck.

thanks doesn't sound ideal does it, i have removed the image attribute from the button tag in config.esriaddinx and this has allowed just the text to show which weirdly has resized the button.
0 Kudos
PaulFreeman
New Contributor
If you are using text and not an image, why don't you change the display to show "Text Only"?

Go into "Customize" and right click the button. And select "Text Only" instead of Default Style.  Then it will show the "Name" of the add-in which you can adjust right there.

There is probably a way to set that as the default when the tool is added, but I do not know how to do that.

thanks this gave me the idea to remove the image attribute from the button tag in config.esriaddinx and this has allowed just the text to show which weirdly has resized the button.
0 Kudos