What exactly is ArcGIS Server using javaw.exe for?

08-15-2013 07:17 AM
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
I'm having memory problems with our server and the main culprit is javaw.exe being used by ArcGIS Server.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26725[/ATTACH]

Any idea why it's constantly using so this much memory?

And what exactly is it being used on?

I know it's really not that much memory, but why is it running x2?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
The javaw.exe processes provide basic application server functionality and the ability to host web services, they are started automatically when the server is started. Seeing two of them is expected.

You can tell that a javaw.exe process is associated with ArcGIS Server by looking at the Command Line column in Windows Task Manager. If the path includes the ArcGIS installation directory, you know it's a process associated with ArcGIS Server. You can derive further information about each process by examining its full command.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0154000003p4000000

Hope this helps!

- Daniel
0 Kudos
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
The javaw.exe processes provide basic application server functionality and the ability to host web services, they are started automatically when the server is started. Seeing two of them is expected.

You can tell that a javaw.exe process is associated with ArcGIS Server by looking at the Command Line column in Windows Task Manager. If the path includes the ArcGIS installation directory, you know it's a process associated with ArcGIS Server. You can derive further information about each process by examining its full command.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//0154000003p4000000

Hope this helps!

- Daniel

Thanks, but I guess my main question is why are there 2 of them and is it possible to only use 1 process?
0 Kudos
DanielStauning
Esri Contributor
Without discussing the details of the inner workings of ArcGIS Server, I can say that both are required to provide application server functionality and the ability to host web services.
0 Kudos
IB1
by
Occasional Contributor
Without discussing the details of the inner workings of ArcGIS Server, I can say that both are required to provide application server functionality and the ability to host web services.

Thanks, Daniel. Okay, last question.

Do I need the ArcGIS Server service running if I'm currently not hosting any services?

If we are just doing direct connection/multi-user editing using SQL Server, do I still need the ArcGIS Server service running? Does it provide any of the functionality needed for that?
0 Kudos
ScottPrindle
Esri Regular Contributor
ArcGIS Server does not need to be running to be able to make a direct connection to your SQL Server geodatabase. ArcGIS Server will only be necessary if you are hosting services (map, feature, geoprocessing, etc.) to be consumed over the web.
0 Kudos
HaithamZayed
New Contributor

Daniel Stauning
I have a question, If there is not enough memory capacity for processing for a certain SOC, although processing fails, please let me know the behavior when releasing memory. Is ArcGIS Server making the decision to free memory? Or is the memory forcibly released by the OS? 

0 Kudos