AnsweredAssumed Answered

How to remove first character from every row of an attribute field

Question asked by baw36 on Aug 6, 2013
Latest reply on Aug 6, 2013 by baw36
Hello all,

I am new to Python and, as you can probably guess, I am having issue with some code I'm attempting to write.  The following will describe what I am attempting to do, and hopefully you wonderful people can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

I have a point feature class with an attribute field called "STOINLET_I."  The field looks like this, and has about 2000 entries (rows):

PDIN-0001
PDIN-0002
PDIN-0003
PDIN-0004

Here is a screenshot, to help better articulate the feature class:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]26495[/ATTACH]

What I am attempting to do with this script is remove the first character in every row of the field so that the "P" no longer exists, which would leave me with this:

DIN-0001
DIN-0002
DIN-0003
DIN-0004

I am confident that the first section of code runs successfully.  The problem lies within the cursor, but I cannot figure out where.  I know this should be easy, but any help would be sincerely appreciated!

import arcpy, string, os, fileinput from arcpy import env env.workspace = "desired workspace" env.overwriteOutput = True fc = "desired feature class" verification = arcpy.Exists (fc) print verification del verification   cursor = arcpy.da.UpdateCursor (fc, ["STOINLET_I"]) for row in cursor:     row.Replace(row[0:],'') del row del cursor

Attachments

Outcomes