Change label color by attribute

07-17-2013 09:05 AM
ChrisArgue
New Contributor
I am looking to define the text color of my labels using a feature attribute. In my case I want my contour line labels to change color based on where or not it is an indefinite contour (used for indicating glaciers). I can symbolize the contours lines accordingly but it would be great to have the labels match the symbology. See the attached image.

Thanks!
Chris

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26011[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
3 Replies
JimCousins
MVP Regular Contributor
Chris,
Under the labels tab for the shapefile, select the dropdown box at the top and choose "Define classes of features and label each class differently." then choose "Get Symbol Classes", and arc will create 2 label class definitions, 1 for each symbol class you have created. Then, set the text symbology that you want for each class.
Regards,
Jim
0 Kudos
ChrisArgue
New Contributor
Of course! Thanks.
0 Kudos
newfelmazari1
New Contributor
I am looking to define the text color of my labels using a feature attribute. In my case I want my contour line labels to change color based on where or not it is an indefinite contour (used for indicating glaciers). I can symbolize the contours lines accordingly but it would be great to have the labels match the symbology. See the attached image.

Thanks!
Chris

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26011[/ATTACH]

Try using an expression ( visual basic or python...) for labeling the layer.
0 Kudos