How can I extract roads of certain distance from a bus stop (details in the attach)??

06-15-2013 11:33 PM
NazmulAhsan
New Contributor
I have faced a problem while preparing my thesis. I am stuck in that problem and cant solve this 😞 . Please anybody can solve the problem identifying the GIS tools/commands?? Details of the problem is elaborated in the word file in the attachment. There are also 2 shape files in the attachment for your convenience. 

You can also contact with me directly at: nazmulahsann@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance 🙂  

Best Regards,
Md. Nazmul Ahsan
0 Kudos
7 Replies
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
I have faced a problem while preparing my thesis. I am stuck in that problem and cant solve this 😞 . Please anybody can solve the problem identifying the GIS tools/commands?? Details of the problem is elaborated in the word file in the attachment. There are also 2 shape files in the attachment for your convenience. 

You can also contact with me directly at: nazmulahsann@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance 🙂  

Best Regards,
Md. Nazmul Ahsan

I didn't see a word file in the attachment, but the tool set you almost certainly need to use is the Network Analyst extension.  Start with the help What is the ArcGIS Network Analyst extension? and follow the other help links to the left to find a solution that fits your problem.  Once you have identified the basic function that most closely fits your specific problem you can get more help here to modify it to your specific needs.
0 Kudos
NazmulAhsan
New Contributor
Oh! Sorry! i forgot to attach the file! Here i have attached the word file which have the details of the problem. Please find the attachment. However thanks for the reply.
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Oh! Sorry! i forgot to attach the file! Here i have attached the word file which have the details of the problem. Please find the attachment. However thanks for the reply.

Now my answer is definitely use Network Analyst.  This is exactly the problem is it designed to solve.  It can trace distances around a point for a given distance along the roadway network for sure.  There is no other tool in ArcGIS that will do that except Network Analyst.  It is just the market area example shown in the link using a shorter distance.

So follow the link in my first post and give me the point I deserve.
0 Kudos
NazmulAhsan
New Contributor
Thanks a lot for your kind reply :). I will try to find the solution from your given link. Therefore, i will inform in this thread if further problem exist. Thanks again :).
0 Kudos
NazmulAhsan
New Contributor
Sorry to say that I could not make the solution! 😞 I read and practiced from the link you have provided but I cannot do this by my shape files. Actually im a beginner user of GIS! I tried many times but I could not! So could u please show me the way in detail?? I am stuck in this problem and my analysis of thesis is absolutely stopped!! 😞  so pleaseeee help me 😞
0 Kudos
RichardFairhurst
MVP Honored Contributor
Sorry to say that I could not make the solution! 😞 I read and practiced from the link you have provided but I cannot do this by my shape files. Actually im a beginner user of GIS! I tried many times but I could not! So could u please show me the way in detail?? I am stuck in this problem and my analysis of thesis is absolutely stopped!! 😞  so pleaseeee help me 😞

I do not use the Network Analyst extension myself, I just am familiar with what it can do.  You should repost your problem in the Network Analyst forum to get help from actual users of the extension.  As far as I know, nothing other than Network Analyst can solve your problem.
0 Kudos
NazmulAhsan
New Contributor
its a great pleasure to inform you that i have just solved the problem!! trying 7 days i have revealed the solution at last 😄 . however, your link help me solving the problem greatly, so u deserve a BIG thanks :). I will write down the solution in this forum so that anybody can be benefited :).
0 Kudos