Bus route map schematic diagram doesn't look right

04-30-2013 10:12 PM
ThaoTruong
New Contributor III
Hi everyone,

I'd like to create bus route maps by Schematic tool. I'm following the instruction of tutorial and blog to make mock up. My steps are below:

1. digitized 2 dummy bus routes. They have a middle bit overlap (same geometry)

2. created points at join segments

3. created schematic dataset, with layout template as Geo-Partial Overlapping Links, offset 50.00m

4. generated new schematic diagram with selection

5. result returned very weird as the points is on top right and lines became points and located bottome left corner. Please see the map attached.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]23893[/ATTACH]

Any idea what I've missed.

Many thanks in advance.
Thao
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
28 Replies
RickAnderson
Occasional Contributor III
Make sure the configuration is good first.  There is a video tutorial called Configuring the Network Dataset Builder available here:

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/communities/schematics/01n600000012000000.htm

For the layout, make sure that your map units are good...  Sometimes we see people have map units in Decimal Degrees and then specify a distance in a layout of 50.  In your mind you want 50 meters, but the system is using the current map units and 50 decimal degrees is something very different.
0 Kudos
ThaoTruong
New Contributor III
Hi Rick,

I worked out the problem was that digitizing work is not creating network at all. I created geometric network after I digitised, then I successfully created diagram. The diagram automatically used the symbol from the geometric network symbol as default, which is great. Hope that we'll have something like that in the future for Network Dataset Builder.

By the way, I've watched all of your schematic video tutorial. Very useful and thanks for your tips regarding to the map units.

Cheers.
0 Kudos
RickAnderson
Thao,

It should be far simpler with the network dataset actually...  You just need to create route solvers for your bus route (or bus routes as multiple buses can be in one solver).  Then you generate your diagram from the solvers, not from selecting feature in the actual network dataset.  That is demonstrated in the video for configuring for network datasets.  I would like to understand more if that is not doing what you need it to do though as it should handle it fine without you having to create a geometric network.

Quick start for transportation:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/communities/schematics/01n60000001v000000.htm

More about the network analyst builder in the help system:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Generating_a_diagram_based_on_the_Network_...

Rick
AaronBaumgarden
New Contributor III
Rick,

I�??m experiencing a similar issue when trying to generate offsets for our transit lines using the Schematics extension.  I feel as though I�??ve tested everything under the sun but I still can�??t get it to produce the offsets like expected.  I tried using the route solver as you suggest above but nothing ever happened when I tried to run the �??Geo-Partial Overlapping Links�?� algorithm.  I did finally get it to do something when I exported those routes to a feature class and added them to a geometric network inside of a feature dataset.  It altered the geometry but not in the way desired (see before and after attachments).  I also checked my map units and they appear to be in feet not decimal degrees.

I�??ve watched several of the training videos and read through quite a bit of the help documentation and now I�??m just feeling stuck.  I�??ve also tried recreating the templates using both the Standard Builder and Network Dataset Builder and I can�??t get the algorithm to run on my schematic diagram.  Anything you can think of that I might be missing?

Thanks,

Aaron

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33183[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]33184[/ATTACH]
RickAnderson
Hard to say without seeing it.  The parameters (properties) of the partially overlapping links layout algorithm are based on the map units.  So make sure that the values used for the offset make sense.  For example, if the map is in inches, then an offset of 2 won't be visible.  If you could generate that diagram into a schematic dataset in a personal or file geodatabase and share it with me, I can take a quick look. 

You have probably already looked at the help info for the layout algorithm, but just in case you haven't, here is the link:
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Geo_Partial_Overlapping_Links_layout_algor...

Looking back at the thread, I don't see that you ever said what version of software you are running.  That would be very helpful as well since things do and have changed along the way.
0 Kudos
AaronBaumgarden
New Contributor III
Rick,

I'm using version 10.2.

I'd be glad to share a file geodatabase with you but I'd rather not have it posted for all to see.  Shall I send you a private message?

Thanks,

Aaron
0 Kudos
RickAnderson
I just pm'd you
0 Kudos
AaronBaumgarden
New Contributor III
Hello all,

I wanted to provide a quick update for those of you interested in using Schematics for bus route maps.

After much help from Rick and several rounds of testing we were finally able to get the extension to work in the way we had hoped.  The result for us is 12 bus routes that now have offsets applied in only the places where multiple routes overlap.  By using the output from a multi-route solver to generate our diagram we were able to fix many of the issues encountered early on.

I've attached a small portion of our final system map if you would like to see what the resulting product looks like.  The big thing to note here is that our new system map was generated without the use of other graphics software.

If anyone is exploring this option (Schematics) and would like to know more about our trials and tribulations, just let me know.

Thanks,

Aaron
0 Kudos
RickAnderson
Looks good Aaron, congrats!  And thanks for your willingness to share your knowledge and experience with others.
0 Kudos