Extract by Mask issue

04-29-2013 01:44 PM
MichaelMattaini
New Contributor
Hello!
I've been working with a .tif of the National Landcover Dataset obtained from the National Atlas. I've been trying to use extract by mask on it (with the mask being a polygon), however I have been encountering a problem. The operation completes without error, however the attribute table is identical to the table of the input raster, and the raster won't draw. I also attempted to use the Clip tool in Raster Processing, but that produced a raster with no attribute table and the full extent of the input raster.

Additionally, when I export the raster that the Extract by Mask tool creates and import it to ArcGIS, the raster appears as a large block of false values. Attached is an image of this.

It is worth noting that I have used other shapefiles to extract the NLDC data with no issue, which would imply that the issue is the shapefile I'm attempting to use, however I have attempted this with multiple versions of this shapefile all attempting to extract the same area. It is a very strange problem.
Thanks!

Mike
0 Kudos
5 Replies
JamesHolman
New Contributor II

I have been with Extract by Mask as well in 2020!

It does not work despite changing settings in Environments and making sure all files have the same projection.  I am using ArcInfo Grids  because I need to use attribute tables with the grid layer.

This is a far cry from Arcview 3.2 when simple line commands worked without fail.  I have a scientific paper that I need to finish and I need to report by mapping regions.  I create a filter for the shapefile for each region.  The ArcInfo grid layer is a simple 1 band grid.  Nothing works.  I can understand the frustration of people trying to use ESRI products.  That is why I use QGIS  for most of my work.  It is faster more flexible and easier to use than Arcmap.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there,
I am a product engineer on the Spatial Analyst team, and would like to help get this problem resolved.
I would like to you know which version of ArcMap you are using, how you are running the tool, as well as the environments you are using.

Since you mentioned a particular dataset, setting up a file share so I can test with your data would be the quickest way for me to reproduce the error, so our developers can take a look!
If this interests you, please send me an email at dmelamed@esri.com, and we can set up a file share. 

Dana

0 Kudos
JamesHolman
New Contributor II

I have worked out that Extract by Mask does not work with GRID formatted rasters.  I exported the grid to .bil format. I then repeated the extract by mask using the .bil formatted grid.  It worked fine.

So don't use GRID rasters.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there,
I am a product engineer on the Spatial Analyst team, and would like to help get this problem resolved.

GRID rasters are supported by SA tools as both inputs and outputs.It is possible your specific GRID dataset has become corrupt.
I would like to you know which version of ArcMap you are using, how you are running the tool, as well as the environments you are using.

Since you mentioned a particular dataset, setting up a file share so I can test with your data would be the quickest way for me to reproduce the error, so our developers can take a look!
If this interests you, please send me an email at dmelamed@esri.com, and we can set up a file share. 

Dana

0 Kudos
JamesHolman
New Contributor II

Hi Dana

I am happy to share the dataset. I will send you the two files by Google Drive. I basically solved the problem yesterday by using BIL format raster and not GRID. It definitely does not work with GRID rasters.

Here is the link” https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1QMGjHy_8XmBQLFPkcl6JFUfyHHcIwH16?usp=sharing

Basically I am extracting the data by mapping regions in the shapefile. So I do a query on the shapefile to select one of the mapping regions and then run extract by mask. It is now not executing with the BIL formatted file.

Cheers

Nick

0 Kudos