Overlapping due to differences in accuracy of shape files.

04-12-2013 02:20 AM
Labels (1)
JaakkoLeppänen
New Contributor
Hi.

I am trying to calculate total water area (Lakes, vector shapefile) that is inside given area (Landowner, vector shp).
There seems to be accurancy problems in my maps, as some parts of lakes seems to overlap landowner area which in reality is restricted to shoreline! So when i try to get only the water areas that are partly or fully inside landowner's area I get wrong results (slices of water near shoreline). The data is huge, so there is no possibility to go and edit each one of them separately.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jaakko[ATTACH=CONFIG]23438[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
If you put the data in a geodatabase you can create a topology and use topology rules and tools to clean up these problems with much less effort and much more accuracy than manually editing them. That would be worth looking into. Topology rules such as "must not overlap" and "must not have gaps" will identify the gaps and overlaps and topology tools allow you to remove the overlaps (choose which feature they really belong to) and fill in the gaps (again, choose which feature they belong to).
0 Kudos
JaakkoLeppänen
New Contributor
Thanks!
i´ll try those commands!

The critical point seems to be, that (as some lakes actually are only partly in possession of landowner) there are overlapping maps that are ok and cannot be erased or modified.

-J
0 Kudos