Prediction a point position

02-25-2013 11:31 PM
MOHAMMEDHABBOUB
New Contributor III
Hello everybody,

I have 7 points (x,y coordinate is known) each point represent a position of the same object in a specific time of the year (say January 1984, January 1986  ,January 1999.....) [See attached file]

How could I know the expected position in (say January 2014?) using Arcgis?

Yours
Habboub
0 Kudos
8 Replies
MOHAMMEDHABBOUB
New Contributor III
Hello everybody,

I have 7 points (x,y coordinate is known) each point represent a position of the same object in a specific time of the year (say January 1984, January 1986 ,January 1999.....) [See attached file]

Yours
Habboub
0 Kudos
MOHAMMEDHABBOUB
New Contributor III
Hello everybody,

I have 7 points (x,y coordinate is known) each point represent a position of the same object in a specific time of the year (say January 1984, January 1986 ,January 1999.....) [See attached file]

Yours
Habboub
0 Kudos
MOHAMMEDHABBOUB
New Contributor III
Hello everybody,

Yours
Habboub
0 Kudos
MOHAMMEDHABBOUB
New Contributor III
Anybody can help?
0 Kudos
MOHAMMEDHABBOUB
New Contributor III
Anybody can help?
0 Kudos
MOHAMMEDHABBOUB
New Contributor III
Anybody can help?
0 Kudos
MarkBoucher
Occasional Contributor III
I've not heard of ArcGIS being able to do this. You can add X and Y fields to the feature class table then export the table with the X and Y (but, you probably already know that or the raw input was coordinates and you wouldn't need to do that). After that, since the points seem to be lined up, you could do the math outside of ArcGIS assuming they are only changing in one direction.

Via a Google search of "Predict a position" I found several sites that might provide insight or methods address the problem mathematically. For example:

http://www.quora.com/How-can-one-predict-the-position-of-a-moving-object-given-its-previous-position...
0 Kudos
MOHAMMEDHABBOUB
New Contributor III
Yes , I could do it on excel but I have lots of such point groups which will take a very long time
0 Kudos