estipe

NA Campus directions not returning turn data (works in Desktop)?

Discussion created by estipe on Feb 12, 2013
Latest reply on Feb 25, 2013 by estipe
I have been working with the information discussed in this thread: http://forums.arcgis.com/threads/76035-NA-Campus-directions-questions. and so far most of it has proved quite helpful. However I have been noticing something that I cannot figure out. I noticed the problem on a larger scale, so I have provided an example size version of the problem below.

Basically, I've noticed that when I run the directions in Desktop it will give me something to the likes of this:

Begin route Graphic Pick 1 - Graphic Pick 2

1: Start at Graphic Pick 1

2: Go north on Hallway
Drive 33.1 ft

3: Turn right to stay on Hallway
Drive 39.6 ft

4: Turn left to stay on Hallway
Drive 39.9 ft

5: Finish at Graphic Pick 2, on the right

Driving distance: 112.6 ft

End of route Graphic Pick 1 - Graphic Pick 2

Each turn is indicated (turn left, turn right, etc).

However, when I return the NA Campus directions, this is just written as "go forward". As you can see from the attached photo, it is definitely not just a straight line. The NA Campus output looks like this:

Begin route Graphic Pick 1 - Graphic Pick 2

1: Start at Graphic Pick 1

2: Go forward through Hallway
Drive 112.6 ft

3: Finish at Graphic Pick 2, on the right

Walking distance: 112.6 ft

End of route Graphic Pick 1 - Graphic Pick 2

These routes are attributed with a RoadClass value of 10. It appears that if a edge changes the "Name" value, it will return a turn direction, but if the name value is the same (ie. Hallway in this case) it will simply say to go forward, no matter how many turns.

A graphic of the route used here is attached below.

I have been successful in getting other portions of the network to work, but I cannot figure out why this is happening. My network is much too large (university campus exterior and interior walks) to create individual turn features, and I have seen the NA Campus return an actual  turn-by-turn direction.

Thanks,

Eric

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21716[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Outcomes