Can't View Layer Description/Configure Time Settings

02-11-2013 05:09 PM
JillThornton
New Contributor
I'm trying to configure the Time Settings on my zipped point shapefile on ArcGIS online, but when I go to Description of the layer, it is grayed out.  Any ideas what to do?  See screenshot...Thanks! 
[ATTACH=CONFIG]21705[/ATTACH]
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
Hi Jill,

After you've added your content to the map, did you save the map?

Cheers,
Andrew
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
You can't enable time on a shapefile added to a map. You need an ArcGIS Online subscription, along with a hosted feature service to do this. Or alternatively, if you have your own ArcGIS Server, you can publish a time aware service.

As far as the description, that only applies to layers derrived from items, for example, in your My Content. It does not apply to data added directly to the map.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JillThornton
New Contributor
I am using the 30-day trial....is that feature not included in the trial?  I already had a personal account with a different email address, but really wanted to utilize more features but use the 30-day trial first.....will it not work?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
It's a different workflow. You have to add the shapefile to My Content. In doing so, you will have the option to publish the shape file as a feature service. It's this feature service you can enable time on.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
JillThornton
New Contributor
Thanks, I actually just figured out how to create a feature service about 5 minutes ago, and now have my shapefile as feature service, but when I go to click on Description, it now doesn't even show up in the layer options....did I miss a step?  Was I supposed to check a box somewhere along the way?  Thanks,  Jill
0 Kudos
JillThornton
New Contributor
Nevermind, figured it out....clicked ADD ITEM under My Content, which converted it to feature service....then, under Item Details for the layer, click the little arrow next to the layer name, and found Time Settings....don't think this has been updated in the directions since the December 2012 updates, because the directions were different in other resources.
0 Kudos