Is there a tool to �??disconnect�?� all the users at a time?

01-26-2013 11:52 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Is there a tool to �??disconnect�?� all the users at a time?

I�??m wondering if there is a tool that can disconnect all the users at a time

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21098[/ATTACH]

Thank you

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
8 Replies
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
...almost had it --- add to your search string 'users', i.e., 'disconnect users' and should get this which I think is what you are looking for:

DisconnectUser (arcpy)
Desktop » Geoprocessing » ArcPy » ArcPy functions
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//018v00000061000000

So in the very 1st example, there is this:

arcpy.DisconnectUser("Database Connections/admin@sde.sde", "ALL")

I don't have ArcGIS 10.1 installed yet so cannot test it...but if it works, this is much better than the 'disconnection procedure' I have used before.

...you may want to test for who/what is connected first, with:

ListUsers (arcpy)
Desktop » Geoprocessing » ArcPy » ArcPy functionshttp://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//018v00000030000000

ahh, but there is a catch, probably a design feature 'failsafe' not to accidentally disconnect the admin user - from the webhelp:

"Note:  DisconnectUser will not disconnect the user who is executing the function."
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
...almost had it --- add to your search string 'users', i.e., 'disconnect users' and should get this which I think is what you are looking for:

DisconnectUser (arcpy)
Desktop » Geoprocessing » ArcPy » ArcPy functions
http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//018v00000061000000

So in the very 1st example, there is this:

arcpy.DisconnectUser("Database Connections/admin@sde.sde", "ALL")

I don't have ArcGIS 10.1 installed yet so cannot test it...but if it works, this is much better than the 'disconnection procedure' I have used before.

...you may want to test for who/what is connected first, with:

ListUsers (arcpy)
Desktop » Geoprocessing » ArcPy » ArcPy functionshttp://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#//018v00000030000000

ahh, but there is a catch, probably a design feature 'failsafe' not to accidentally disconnect the admin user - from the webhelp:

"Note:  DisconnectUser will not disconnect the user who is executing the function."

Many thanks Whitley for the answer.

I tried the python but sounds not to work (below)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21107[/ATTACH]

What might be the issue?

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
Your mistake is with the pathname string - you are mixing conventions.  I prefer to stick with passing 'raw' strings so that I do not generally have to concern myself further with backslashes being interpreted by python as an escape sequence (the preceding 'r' means interpret as 'raw' string) -- see the below where I am testing the strings via IDLE:
>>> # the pathname as you have stated it:
>>> pathname = "r'Database Connections\Sa_D1.sde'"

>>> # this is incorrect, directly converting all inside the double-quotes to string:
>>> print pathname
r'Database Connections\Sa_D1.sde'

>>> # removing the double-quotes:
>>> pathname = r'Database Connections\Sa_D1.sde'

>>> # this is correct, with 'r' serving in Python to use raw string:
>>> print pathname
Database Connections\Sa_D1.sde

>>> # quick example of raw versus non-raw interpretation:

>>> # this is without the preceding 'r':
>>> nonRawExample = '\tAtest'

>>> # this string is actually interpreted to include a tab:
>>> print nonRawExample
 Atest

>>> # this string includes the preceding 'r' for the raw representation:
>>> useRawExample = r'\tAtest'

>>> # as desired, the string is interpreted as is, or 'raw', to include the backslash character:
>>> print useRawExample
\tAtest

Additionally, this is a matter of preference, but I prefer whenever possible to pass variables, not strings, to my tool, as in this example, particularly when there are a number of params to feed in - such as the 11 params for ReconcileVersions:
# the ReconcileVersions pathname strings
inputDB = r'\\YourServerUNC\folderMaybeThisContainsType\SDEfiles\admins.sde'
logFile = r'C:\temp\reconcilelog.txt'

# other ReconcileVersions defined params
all = 'ALL_VERSIONS'
target = 'sde.DEFAULT'
versionList = arcpy.ListVersions(inputDB)
lock = 'LOCK_ACQUIRED'
abort = 'NO_ABORT'
conflict = 'BY_OBJECT'
resolve = 'FAVOR_TARGET_VERSION'
post = 'POST'
deleteVer = 'DELETE_VERSION'

# Execute the ReconcileVersions tool.
arcpy.ReconcileVersions_management(inputDB, all, target, versionList, lock, abort, conflict, resolve, post, deleteVer, logFile)

Hope that helps - I think it makes the code a little more readable and accessible for troubleshooting.

Enjoy,
Wayne
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Your mistake is with the pathname string - you are mixing conventions.  I prefer to stick with passing 'raw' strings so that I do not generally have to concern myself further with backslashes being interpreted by python as an escape sequence (the preceding 'r' means interpret as 'raw' string) -- see the below where I am testing the strings via IDLE:
>>> # the pathname as you have stated it:
>>> pathname = "r'Database Connections\Sa_D1.sde'"

>>> # this is incorrect, directly converting all inside the double-quotes to string:
>>> print pathname
r'Database Connections\Sa_D1.sde'

>>> # removing the double-quotes:
>>> pathname = r'Database Connections\Sa_D1.sde'

>>> # this is correct, with 'r' serving in Python to use raw string:
>>> print pathname
Database Connections\Sa_D1.sde

>>> # quick example of raw versus non-raw interpretation:

>>> # this is without the preceding 'r':
>>> nonRawExample = '\tAtest'

>>> # this string is actually interpreted to include a tab:
>>> print nonRawExample
 Atest

>>> # this string includes the preceding 'r' for the raw representation:
>>> useRawExample = r'\tAtest'

>>> # as desired, the string is interpreted as is, or 'raw', to include the backslash character:
>>> print useRawExample
\tAtest

Additionally, this is a matter of preference, but I prefer whenever possible to pass variables, not strings, to my tool, as in this example, particularly when there are a number of params to feed in - such as the 11 params for ReconcileVersions:
# the ReconcileVersions pathname strings
inputDB = r'\\YourServerUNC\folderMaybeThisContainsType\SDEfiles\admins.sde'
logFile = r'C:\temp\reconcilelog.txt'

# other ReconcileVersions defined params
all = 'ALL_VERSIONS'
target = 'sde.DEFAULT'
versionList = arcpy.ListVersions(inputDB)
lock = 'LOCK_ACQUIRED'
abort = 'NO_ABORT'
conflict = 'BY_OBJECT'
resolve = 'FAVOR_TARGET_VERSION'
post = 'POST'
deleteVer = 'DELETE_VERSION'

# Execute the ReconcileVersions tool.
arcpy.ReconcileVersions_management(inputDB, all, target, versionList, lock, abort, conflict, resolve, post, deleteVer, logFile)

Hope that helps - I think it makes the code a little more readable and accessible for troubleshooting.

Enjoy,
Wayne

Many thanks Whitley for the help,

It would be highly appreciated if you attach this great python script in a custom tool in a custom toolbox. This would be much easier for the end users.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]21111[/ATTACH]

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
T__WayneWhitley
Frequent Contributor
You were before having problems establishing your admin sde connection via Python - I don't know if it was clear but (provided the sde connection files contain valid parameters at the Database Connections shortcut set up in ArcGIS [I think the default location is in the app directory]) you can use the line of code below, if this is the valid admin connection you desire setting up for the reconcile/post process:

arcpy.env.workspace = r'Database Connections\Sa_D1.sde'

I mentioned using UNC pathname conventions -- what I mean by that is I prefer not to use the 'Database Connections' shortcut, because for one what if the default setting for the shortcut path is overridden?...then where is your script supposed to go look for it?  If such things change, then you have to remember to also move the appropriate sde connection files to the new location.

Therefore, as a result of this reasoning (and this particularly applies to running scripts from the server and any specialized scripts you want to provide a 'more private' or secure location to use, accessing the file-contained connection parameters), it is convenient to store scripts and any associated sde files, etc. needed to run it on the server --- for example:

arcpy.env.workspace = r'\\yourServerName\aMoreSecureLocation\aCopyOf\Sa_D1.sde'

You can even copy your sde file there if that is the convenience you want - and in that way you have secured a file for particular use by your server scripts...it is true if you do this you will have to maintain them separately, but how often do you have to change admin connection files?  It certainly doesn't make sense to store the files on your desktop for the server to 'reach across the network' for the necessary params in order to do its assigned admin task on the server!

Just thought I'd pass that along.  Hope it is going well -- the 'batch' workflow (Using Python scripting to batch reconcile and post versions) listed at the 10.1 webhelp is extremely interesting....so if you will post back here to confirm you got it going, that would be great.

Thanks,
Wayne
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
You were before having problems establishing your admin sde connection via Python - I don't know if it was clear but (provided the sde connection files contain valid parameters at the Database Connections shortcut set up in ArcGIS [I think the default location is in the app directory]) you can use the line of code below, if this is the valid admin connection you desire setting up for the reconcile/post process:

arcpy.env.workspace = r'Database Connections\Sa_D1.sde'

I mentioned using UNC pathname conventions -- what I mean by that is I prefer not to use the 'Database Connections' shortcut, because for one what if the default setting for the shortcut path is overridden?...then where is your script supposed to go look for it?  If such things change, then you have to remember to also move the appropriate sde connection files to the new location.

Therefore, as a result of this reasoning (and this particularly applies to running scripts from the server and any specialized scripts you want to provide a 'more private' or secure location to use, accessing the file-contained connection parameters), it is convenient to store scripts and any associated sde files, etc. needed to run it on the server --- for example:

arcpy.env.workspace = r'\\yourServerName\aMoreSecureLocation\aCopyOf\Sa_D1.sde'

You can even copy your sde file there if that is the convenience you want - and in that way you have secured a file for particular use by your server scripts...it is true if you do this you will have to maintain them separately, but how often do you have to change admin connection files?  It certainly doesn't make sense to store the files on your desktop for the server to 'reach across the network' for the necessary params in order to do its assigned admin task on the server!

Just thought I'd pass that along.  Hope it is going well -- the 'batch' workflow (Using Python scripting to batch reconcile and post versions) listed at the 10.1 webhelp is extremely interesting....so if you will post back here to confirm you got it going, that would be great.

Thanks,
Wayne

Many thanks Wayne for the valuable feedback. Quite useful.

At the moment, just I need a help to create a TOOL that can live in a TOOLBOX to run the script by only providing the connection. I have posted this challenge in the Python section.

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Caveman simple:  Stop and start the service.  It's never failed me...
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Caveman simple:  Stop and start the service.  It's never failed me...

Many thanks Joe for the contribution.

I think that this should be part of the script that is used to make the Add-Delete tables with no records (empty)

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos