Number of instances (processes) to serve ???services???,

12-27-2012 11:04 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Number of instances (processes) to serve ???services???,

The minimum and maximum number of the instances for a particular service is set to be 1. Nevertheless, two processes are still working!

To better compare the minimum and maximum number set for the instances and the working processes, ONE service is only active.

Please, have a look on the screenshot below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20223[/ATTACH]

What might be the explanation for this?

Thank you

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
it can be a idle instance. Can you say what are step that you have achieved?
0 Kudos
JeffSmith
Esri Contributor
Can you confirm that both of those ArcSOC.exe processes belong to that service?  In 10.1, the easiest way to tell is to add the "Command Line" column to your Task Manager.  This will provide the service name for each ArcSOC.exe process listed.  Also, do both of those processes go away once you have stopped the service?

Jeff
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Can you confirm that both of those ArcSOC.exe processes belong to that service?  In 10.1, the easiest way to tell is to add the "Command Line" column to your Task Manager.  This will provide the service name for each ArcSOC.exe process listed.  Also, do both of those processes go away once you have stopped the service?

Jeff

Thank you Jeff and Domenico for the answer.

�?� Once the service is started, then I expect that the min number of instances will work. Is that corrected?

�?� I couldn�??t understand how to use the command line to list �??service name for each ArcSOC.exe process�?� which command should I type?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20374[/ATTACH]

�?� The configuration is set to be �??high isolation�?� to better understand the behavior (no issue with the idle

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20375[/ATTACH]
Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
nicogis
MVP Frequent Contributor
Open your windows task manager and from menu select items View -> Select Columns... and then select column "Command Line" so you can see details for your two arcsoc.exe in windows task manager

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20377[/ATTACH]
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Open your windows task manager and from menu select items View -> Select Columns... and then select column "Command Line" so you can see details for your two arcsoc.exe in windows task manager

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20377[/ATTACH]

Many thanks Domenico for the answer and the screenshot.

Please have a look on my screenshot below:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20410[/ATTACH]

It reveals that I have 2 arcsoc.exe! Where does the second instance go while I set the number of instances to be 1?
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos
JeffSmith
Esri Contributor
Jamal,
Your screenshot does reveal that you have 2 ArcSOC.exe instances running but it shows that only one of them is associated with the S15 map service.  This is revealed by looking at the -Dservice=S15.MapServer in the Command Line for the top ArcSOC.exe process.  The bottom one is not associated with any map service and was likely created with the connection from ArcMap to ArcGIS Server.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Jamal,
Your screenshot does reveal that you have 2 ArcSOC.exe instances running but it shows that only one of them is associated with the S15 map service.  This is revealed by looking at the -Dservice=S15.MapServer in the Command Line for the top ArcSOC.exe process.  The bottom one is not associated with any map service and was likely created with the connection from ArcMap to ArcGIS Server.

Many thanks Jeff for the answer. This is very helpful

Best

Jamal
Jamal Numan
0 Kudos