Username/password of ???ArcGIS Server manager??? and the one of "sharing",

12-24-2012 07:34 PM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Username/password of �??ArcGIS Server manager�?� and the one of "sharing",

As we are accessing the (http://localhost:6080/arcgis), we are required to provide the user name and password. Is this also the place where this Username/password created?

Is this the Username/password all the users can access the data one the server with?

From where this Username/password is edited?

How this Username/password is related to the one of �??ArcGIS Server manger�?�

Why the ArcGIS system doesn�??t require confirming the password as it�??s created? Isn�??t that critical?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20178[/ATTACH]

Thank you for the answer

Best

Jamal
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
RichardWatson
Frequent Contributor
Security is a complex topic which requires a deep understanding how Desktop, Server, and web applications work.
You need to study all of this and then decide on a strategy.  Start with the online help and also read the various
presentations from the UC and Develop Summit meetings.

For example, Server supports a number of different security schemes which may or may not be shared with Desktop.
The product I work on uses enterprise database credentials and we have a custom security provider for Server which
implies that our Desktop and Server products behave the same.

By default, I believe that Server uses a local security store (SqlExpress, I think) which stores (and manages) credentials
in a local database on the server.  The way that you manage this is via ArcGIS Server Manager.  To contrast, you can
also use Windows credentials and the way that you manage those is view Windows itself.  So, how you manage
security depends on which scheme you choose.

I think that you are using Flex Viewer applications so you also have to take that into consideration.  I have not
looked at the Flex Viewer but I do recall that some of the other Viewer applications from ESRI do not support all
security schemes supported by ArcGIS Server itself.
0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor
Security is a complex topic which requires a deep understanding how Desktop, Server, and web applications work.
You need to study all of this and then decide on a strategy.  Start with the online help and also read the various
presentations from the UC and Develop Summit meetings.

For example, Server supports a number of different security schemes which may or may not be shared with Desktop.
The product I work on uses enterprise database credentials and we have a custom security provider for Server which
implies that our Desktop and Server products behave the same.

By default, I believe that Server uses a local security store (SqlExpress, I think) which stores (and manages) credentials
in a local database on the server.  The way that you manage this is via ArcGIS Server Manager.  To contrast, you can
also use Windows credentials and the way that you manage those is view Windows itself.  So, how you manage
security depends on which scheme you choose.

I think that you are using Flex Viewer applications so you also have to take that into consideration.  I have not
looked at the Flex Viewer but I do recall that some of the other Viewer applications from ESRI do not support all
security schemes supported by ArcGIS Server itself.

Thank you Richard for the informative answer. This is quite helpful.

A colleague advised that the accessing the �??services�?� data folder can be from:

�?� Arcgis desktop (you need to have credentials: username/password). In this case, one can publish/delete/etc. �??services�?� depending on the level of permissions (publisher/user/administrator) he/she has.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20252[/ATTACH]

�?� From applications (Flex/Silverlight/ ArcGIS Web Applications Manager) requires that the �??service�?� itself not to be set to be private). In case, the �??service�?� is set to be private, the application will never be able access it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20253[/ATTACH], [ATTACH=CONFIG]20254[/ATTACH]
----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
0 Kudos