building overview error:No mosaic dataset item selected. Operation can't be perform

Jump to solution
12-18-2012 12:55 PM
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
Hi friend,

This is the other problem that we encountered when building overview for the mosaic dataset.

I have a screenshot from the log file. Please help.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]20056[/ATTACH]

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor
Try installing Service Pack 1 and see if you receive the same error.

If you do, try recreating the mosaic dataset in a new File Geodatabase, and then try creating your overviews.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JakeSkinner
1.  What version of ArcMap, including service packs, are you running?  Ex:  ArcGIS 10.1 Service Pack 1

2.  What type of geodatabase does your mosaic dataset reside in (i.e. File, Personal, SDE)?

3.  Try rebuilding the overviews with only the options 'Define Missing Overview Tiles' and 'Generate Overviews'.  Make sure the options 'Generate Missing Overview Tiles' and 'Regenerate Stale Overview Tiles are unchecked.
0 Kudos
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
Jake, thanks for the reply.

1. ArcGIS 10.1. No Service Pack.

2. I am using File-based Geodatabase.

3. I have tried your suggestion. The same error happens again. It even pops up a crash window. The overview items include 1060. But ArcGIS crashes when generating 214th item. All of the 214 items have the same error message id-ed as 800042021. The attached image indicates that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20123[/ATTACH]

Thanks,

Mike

1.  What version of ArcMap, including service packs, are you running?  Ex:  ArcGIS 10.1 Service Pack 1

2.  What type of geodatabase does your mosaic dataset reside in (i.e. File, Personal, SDE)?

3.  Try rebuilding the overviews with only the options 'Define Missing Overview Tiles' and 'Generate Overviews'.  Make sure the options 'Generate Missing Overview Tiles' and 'Regenerate Stale Overview Tiles are unchecked.
0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

If you do, try recreating the mosaic dataset in a new File Geodatabase, and then try creating your overviews.
0 Kudos
SubramanianSwaminathan
New Contributor II
Are you getting any partial or unprocessed overviews listed under category attribute in your Mosaic dataset table?

Subu

Jake, thanks for the reply.

1. ArcGIS 10.1. No Service Pack.

2. I am using File-based Geodatabase.

3. I have tried your suggestion. The same error happens again. It even pops up a crash window. The overview items include 1060. But ArcGIS crashes when generating 214th item. All of the 214 items have the same error message id-ed as 800042021. The attached image indicates that.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20123[/ATTACH]

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
xiannianchen
New Contributor II
Hi, Jake,

Thanks for the reply. It does work after I patched ArcGIS Desktop. Also, the patch makes the whole process faster, much faster.

Thanks,

Xiannian

0 Kudos