Tyring to modify MXD symbology with Python - Is it possible?

12-07-2012 05:34 AM
MatthewGerbrandt
New Contributor II
Hello, everyone. I've got a script that downloads a large number of shapefiles from an FTP site. Those shapefiles are then imported into a FileGeodatabase FeatureClass.

I need to use a python script to automate a few MXD modifications each time the data are downloaded and I???m not sure if it???s even possible. I don???t need a fully scripted solution but if anyone here could tell me which, if any python objects to use, that would be stellar.

The tasks are as follows:
1)  Categorize the symbology of data based on the TimeStamp field in the FeatureClass.
2)  Use the Up Arrow as the symbol for all data points.
3)  Assign the Rotation of the Up Arrow based on the Bearing field.

I've attached a screenshot, showing the conversion which I need to perform in terms of symbology.

Thanks a million for any help!
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
markdenil
Occasional Contributor III
Previously, you needed to store symbolization in a layer file, and use that to update the symbolization of a map layer.
There may now be something you can do in 10.1 with the UniqueValuesSymbology class in arcpy.mapping.
It is suposed to allow you to symboloze all the values in a fc, and to assigne properties based on field values....
But I haven't tried it yet.
0 Kudos
RusselKlueg
New Contributor III

Mr. Gerbrandt,

I'm currently looking for the same type of script. I was hoping that you might have found your solution by now and could share it with me?

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Have a look at the code samples in the Help on UniqueValuesSymbology (arcpy.mapping)

0 Kudos