Create enterprise geodatabase for PostGres

Jump to solution
12-06-2012 11:58 PM
MartinRick
Occasional Contributor II
Hi there,

I try to create a postgres geodatabase at my local machine (windows 7 64 Bit) according to the tutorial from the resource center.

http://resources.arcgis.com/en/help/main/10.1/index.html#/Tutorial_Getting_started_with_geodatabases...

Therefore I did the  following steps:

1. Download PostgreSQL from the customer care portal (PostgreSQL_DBMS_for_Windows_101_130033.exe) and the client libs (PostgreSQL_Client_Libraries_for_Windows_101_130031.exe)

2. Install Postgres, copying st_geometry.dll and the client libs

3. Go to ArcGIS Desktop and ran "Create Enterprise Geodatabase"

The tool created the database, the sde user and the sde-schema (for some reason only in the "postgre" default db!) and crashes with the message "Error connecting to database as geodatabase admin".

Now I can see the database in the pgAdminIII (see attached screenshot) and even connect to the database from the ArcCatalog. But when I try to ship data into the database in ArcGIS I gt the error message "There are no spatial types present in the database. Pasting a feature class requires a spatial type to be installed.".

I assume this has to do with the fact that the sde schema is not present in the newly created database (see attached screenshot).

Does anyone have an idea what could be the cause for this?

Regards,
Martin
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MartinRick
Hi,

found the solution to my issue! The problem was the database name. Your are not allowed to use mixed capital and lower letters or underscores in the name of your database. For example it is not allowed to call the database "myTestDb".

In the pgAdminIII console I could verify that the geoprocessing tool creates the sde user, the database, sets the sde user as owner of the database, but could finally not add the sde schema to the database. Therefore I could even connect through the ArcCatalog to the db as sde user, but it was not possible to add any spatial data.

Hope this issue will be resolved with the next service pack for ArcGIS 10.1.

Regards

Martin

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MartinRick
Hi,

found the solution to my issue! The problem was the database name. Your are not allowed to use mixed capital and lower letters or underscores in the name of your database. For example it is not allowed to call the database "myTestDb".

In the pgAdminIII console I could verify that the geoprocessing tool creates the sde user, the database, sets the sde user as owner of the database, but could finally not add the sde schema to the database. Therefore I could even connect through the ArcCatalog to the db as sde user, but it was not possible to add any spatial data.

Regards

Martin
0 Kudos
MarcoBoeringa
MVP Regular Contributor
Hi,

Regards

Martin

Martin, this really sounds like a database issue, not an ArcGIS issue.

This also seems to be confirmed by for example the discussion thread below, that talks about the need to "Quote" database and field names in PostgreSQL in case of using mixed upper and lower case letters:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9538668/postgresql-forces-lowercase-names
0 Kudos
MartinRick
Martin, this really sounds like a database issue, not an ArcGIS issue.

This also seems to be confirmed by for example the discussion thread below, that talks about the need to "Quote" database and field names in PostgreSQL in case of using mixed upper and lower case letters:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9538668/postgresql-forces-lowercase-names

Hi,

thank you very much for the stackoverflow link. I tested your recommendation to use quotes, but this did not resolve the issue. Did you try to reproduce this behavior and got another result? Would be interesting to know.

Regards
Martin
0 Kudos
KimPeter
Esri Contributor
ArcGIS does not quote object names when it passes them to the database. If the object requires quotes for the database to understand, it will not work.

See technical article 40571: http://support.esri.com/en/knowledgebase/techarticles/detail/40571.
0 Kudos
MartinRick
Hi Kimberly,

thank you very much for the clear point. I think we can go with the fact that mixed letters and special characters do not work with PostgreSQL. Maybe as an enhancement for the GP Tool in the ArcGIS Desktop I would recommend to add this information to the Tool Help.

Regards,
Martin
0 Kudos