Intro to Coding webinar discussion

09-12-2018 04:44 PM
Highlighted
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

Esri’s Women’s Empowerment & Career Advancement Network (WeCan) hosted an Intro to Coding webinar on Thursday, September 13, 2018. This thread is to continue the conversations and learning we started there. Have a question about the webinar or programming in general? Kylie Donia and Gela Malek Pour (the hosts) are monitoring this thread to answer any questions and help you get started with coding! We encourage others to offer their knowledge as well.

Here are the resources we shared:

• Women's Geospatial Forum on GeoNet—Managed by Esri’s Women’s Empowerment & Career Advancement Network (WeCan), this is the place on GeoNet for women across all geospatial sectors to find information and resources, ask technical or professional questions, and engage in discussions with women and allies in the GIS industry.
  • Esri Developer APIsCheck out the Esri developer website.
  • Jupyter NotebookJupyter is a free, open-source web application for running Python code in your browser.
  • Code AcademyThis interactive, online platform offers free coding classes in many different programming languages.

If you weren't able to attend, you can view the recording of the webinar and check out the slides, video clips, and code attached to this post. Please join in the discussion here, too! To use the attached .ipynb file, you'll need to use Jupyter Notebook.

11 Replies
Highlighted
New Contributor II

Will you post the recording of the webinar?

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

Yes! We have attached the slides and code and will follow up with the recording once we've got it finalized. Thanks for attending!

womeningis intro to coding wecan

Highlighted
New Contributor

Thank you Julia! I really want to join this wonderful webinar to keep improving my coding skills; however, I need to work and cannot join, so thanks for posting the link here!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor II

By the way - I misspoke in the webinar. In ArcMap, you can right-click on Models you've built to export them as Python scripts. In ArcGIS Pro 1.1 and above, this functionality has been removed. You can read more about it here:
https://community.esri.com/thread/163291 

Highlighted
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

We have the recording! In addition to having it in this comment, I've updated the post above to include it.

Highlighted
New Contributor III

Looks like the presentation and audio don't start until minute 6:50, for those wondering.  thought there was something wrong with my audio at first...

Thanks for posting these.  I was unable to attend earlier today.  I have some coding experience and background, but it's useful to see how the material is presented here.    Any chance we could get an intermediate level coding webinar too in the future?

Highlighted
New Contributor II

Hi Heather! Thanks for pointing this out. We have edited the video to begin just before we start speaking.  If you can update your post so people don't get confused, that would be awesome.  Thank you!

Highlighted
New Contributor III

I just watched the webinar and found it helpful! As mentioned during recorded Q&A, I would like to have additional webinars on using Python tools to automate my workflow from tab-delimited .txt files and other spreadsheet formats such as pipe-delimited, headerless or .dat files in order to geocode the addresses associated to the records on file.

I'm writing my python code in Jupyter Notebook using login method through ArcGIS Pro in order to use the ArcGIS API for Python.  arcgis api for python  jupyter notebook‌ arcgispro‌ #python #spreadsheets#python automation‌ 

Highlighted
New Contributor

Hi! Do you guys by any chance have a mailing list for Esri’s Women’s Empowerment & Career Advancement Network (WeCan)? I'd love to join!

0 Kudos