WABDE -> Export as Template to AGOL -> ... stuck in My Content

Jump to solution
02-02-2016 04:16 PM
LorenMueller
Occasional Contributor

Hi WABDE users,

Making the Template available to users in AGOL:

I have been using WABDE now for a few months and getting quite familiar with it. One workflow I am stuck on is exporting a local WABDE application as a template back up to AGOL or Portal. I was able to do that, but got a warning that I do not have permissions to share with the Template group in AGOL. I asked my AGOL admin about it and he can find no Template group.

1. What group do I need to be added to so that I can share my new template and have it show up in the list of Templates when I am creating a new application in AGOL?

I see that the Template app that was created has a Register option in the Details page - in what scenario do I need to do this? I registered it and it still does not show up in the list of templates.

2. Should I register it?

Then there is hosting the Template. I get that it will be hosted locally or on some web server where I can deploy it, and not stored up in AGOL, but how to deploy a Template?

2. How do I deploy ('download', like with an app) a WABDE Template so that I can host it? Or is it really just a copy of the Application that I exported as a Template that I need to host?  I only see the download option for applications in WABDE. Perhaps this is just a terminology mix up.

Thanks for any help!

Loren

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
SubuSwaminathan1
Occasional Contributor

Loren,

I am muddling through this myself. The group that you put the template in has to be selected in the AGOL organization settings->Map->Configurable Apps. Only then it will show up as a template...Then you can access it in My Content->Create->App->Using a template and you will see all the templates in that group available for you to select from. esri tech support finally figured that out after getting lost following their own documentation.

Yes you have to register it. Still figuring out whether local server or DMZ server. Local server works within the network, even works off my workstation.

I am still trying to figure what my super-users can edit in the template to create their own apps....Hope that helps.

Good luck,

View solution in original post

5 Replies
SubuSwaminathan1
Occasional Contributor

Loren,

I am muddling through this myself. The group that you put the template in has to be selected in the AGOL organization settings->Map->Configurable Apps. Only then it will show up as a template...Then you can access it in My Content->Create->App->Using a template and you will see all the templates in that group available for you to select from. esri tech support finally figured that out after getting lost following their own documentation.

Yes you have to register it. Still figuring out whether local server or DMZ server. Local server works within the network, even works off my workstation.

I am still trying to figure what my super-users can edit in the template to create their own apps....Hope that helps.

Good luck,

LorenMueller
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Subu,

I am gonig to coordinate with our AGOL admin to look into the items you have pointed out. I will post back here in the thread how it goes.

Loren

0 Kudos
LorenMueller
Occasional Contributor

Subu Swaminathan​ Thanks for the very helpful guidance.

Together with my AGOL admin we were able to complete the workflow.

1. The admin created a new group called 'Templates'.

2. Then the Configurable Apps setting was made to point to the new group.

3. I was then able to check the new template app in the My Content list (not the details page for it), click share at the top, choose 'Access and Capabilities', and in there the 'Templates' group showed up for sharing with.

4. Then I was able to > Create > App > Using a Template - and there it was.

5. I created the app and there was the custom Widget from my Local WABDE app - wow.

A few remaining things...

*All the default templates for creating apps are now gone! Now there is only the one I created. Hmmm.. Where did they go?

*The app made from the template does not provide any way of getting into the Builder environment. Is that because I would then be working in the AGOL Builder environment (and my template app does not live there)?

Loren

SubuSwaminathan1
Occasional Contributor

Loren -

Check/Turn on the "Share the Esri default configurable apps to this group when you click Save." right below the Configurable Apps setting and save your settings. You should see the esri default maps.

Subu

LorenMueller
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Subu,

We found that the issue we were having (esri default templates no showing up anymore) was that the Group that was first created to use with Configurable Apps was too open. So we got rid of that group, made a new one, and now my custom template shows up with the esri default templates.

Here are the steps that worked for us:

1. Create a new group where only the owner can contribute (said another way - where 'members' can contribute, but the owner is the only member)
  2. Under the Organization settings, in the Map tab, set the templates folder to the new group and 'check' to share the Esri configurable apps with that group on save. Click save.
  3. Go back and share your template(s) with the new group
  4. Adjust the group settings as needed (have not played with this much yet, so not entirely sure of the ramifications to the Config Apps behavior).

Loren