Unable to publish WAB Developer website

Jump to solution
05-01-2017 09:55 AM
AmyRoust
Occasional Contributor III

I apologize in advance if this is the wrong forum to post this question in. If there is a better place to ask for help, please let me know!

I have successfully created a website using WAB Developer Edition installed on my local machine and am ready to deploy. I've read and re-read the Deploy your app page, but I don't understand the part about configuring and adding a proxy. I've followed the links to Use proxy and went through both of the blog posts that explain how to set up a proxy. Unfortunately, I am not an IT person and while I have aspirations of being a GIS web developer, I do not know enough to make sense of the reasons why you need to set up a proxy. In short -- I don't know if I need to set up a proxy, nor do I understand how to set one up.

That being said, I don't think the proxy setup is the root of my my problem. I've downloaded the code package onto my GIS web server and unzipped it into my inetpub > wwwroot directory. I've opened IIS and converted that folder to an application. Is there anything else that I need to do to make the website available on the internet? When I try to open the website via the web, I get a plain page with the text, "The resource you are looking for has been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable." I know I've entered the web address correctly, and my other two applications in the Default Web Site directory work fine.

I should add that if I open a browser on my machine and type in \\servername\applicationname, the site works fine. If I try the localhost path on the server, the "app loading" page appears but the app never actually loads.

I'd appreciate any resources that will help me learn more so that I can resolve my issues on my own. I'm eager to expand my knowledge, but am really struggling to find a good starting point.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Amy,

You need to get in contact with your IT personnel then as this seems to an issue with your setup on the web server side.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Amy,

I've downloaded the code package onto my GIS web server and unzipped it into my inetpub > wwwroot directory. I've opened IIS and converted that folder to an application. Is there anything else that I need to do to make the website available on the internet?

That is all that is required.

So what is the name of the folder you extracted into wwwroot? Say it is "BlahBlah" then you would type http://servername/BlahBlah/index.html in your browsers address bar.

0 Kudos
AmyRoust

It's a long name: propertyviewerupgradetesting. Eventually it will be renamed to overwrite the current property viewer website, but we want the two sites to co-exist for a week or so as a "soft launch." My current property viewer is https://dgco.douglas-county.com/propertymap/index.html , so the new map should work as https://dgco.douglas-county.com/propertyviewerupgradetesting/index.html .

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Are you sure there is not another folder inside the propertyviewerupgradetesting folder? If you look at the browsers web console the index.html is returning a 404 error.

0 Kudos
AmyRoust

Just double checked, and there is no subfolder. Here's a screen shot.

Does it matter that I don't use the suggested name for the zip file when I download it from my machine? It suggests Douglas County, KS Property Viewer.zip which struck me as a bad file name because of the spaces and special character. I rename it to propertyviewerupgradetesting.zip before downloading, then transfer the file to my server and unzip it there without futher renaming.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Amy,

So you are saying that you have added the propertyviewerupgradetesting folder to your production web servers wwwroot folder right? That would mean that there is a propertymap folder in the wwwroot folder as well.

0 Kudos
AmyRoust

Correct. I have three applications in the wwwroot folder - there is a propertymap folder, a mapgallery folder, and now the propertyviewerupgradetesting folder.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Amy,

You need to get in contact with your IT personnel then as this seems to an issue with your setup on the web server side.

AmyRoust

In an amusing twist, the problem was indeed related to proxies -- just not the WAB kind. IT had to add the new site to a reverse proxy rule on a different server to make the link available. Website is working fine now, but will be taken offline until we're ready for the "soft launch."

Robert, I am once again grateful for your assistance!

RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Great don't forget to mark this as answered.

0 Kudos