Referencing a secure search URL in the Enhanced Search Widget for Web AppBuilder

01-13-2017 01:02 PM
AllisonKampbell
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a secure service of Utilities that I would like to use in the Enhanced Search Widget.  The utility layer is in my Application.  This secure service has been added to my ArcGIS Online account using stored credentials and is shared with a group.  Users log into Web AppBuilder using their ArcGIS Online account.  It would be nice if they could log in once and then access the secured service in the enhanced search widget.  

I could use the query widget that allows me to pick from the layers in my web map.  However, I like the enhanced tools in your enhanced search widget.  

Thanks!

Allison   

0 Kudos
6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Allison,

So are you saying that the Query widget does not challenge for credentials if the webmap has already challenged you? If that is the case I need to investigate what they are doing differently then me.

0 Kudos
AllisonKampbell
New Contributor III

Hi Robert,  No, the query widget does not ask for a username and password when I access the secured Utility web map layer.  This Utility layer is in my web map. 

What I did is I added my ArcGIS Server web service as an item in my ArcGIS Online content.  Because my service is secure, I stored the username and password credentials with the map image layer. This Utility map image layer is now referenced in my contents.  I share this layer to my groups and I use this layer in my web map.  In my web map and my application, I am not referencing the URL from my ArcGIS server.  When users log into ArcGIS Online they can view my web map and the Utility layer.  Because the Utility layer is using stored credential, the users do not have to log in a second time to see the layer.  

Hope this helps explain.

thanks!

Allison

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Allison,

Thanks for the info. It will take time to replicate your situation and test but at least I have your workflow for this.

0 Kudos
NolitaLavoie1
New Contributor II

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I have the same workflow and the same issue.

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Nolita,

No there was never any progress on this.

0 Kudos
NolitaLavoie1
New Contributor II

Just to note for the next person who might have this issue …

I started from scratch and did get this to work as expected.

e.g. Using an secure service has been added to my ArcGIS Online (AGOL) account using stored credentials and is shared with a group. Then using the Secured Service in Web Application Builder and the eSearch Widget. Then when the application is launched, only the AGOL account login is required for the eSearch to work.

Not sure what caused the failure the first time. Haven’t been able to replicate. My hypotheses are:

1. I did some updates and refreshes on the ArcGIS Server Map Service. AGOL may be finicky about this and this may have corrupted my secure link through AGOL.
  2. Made sure to use only the AGOL URL (https://utility.arcgis.com/...) for the eSearch url. The first time around I started with the original rest end point, which might have cached somewhere in the WAB dev.
  3. Made sure all my Secured Map Services hosted as “Map Image Layers” were shared correctly in AGOL.

I also found an esri suggestion to only use hosted Feature Services. I did not have to resort to this for it to work.

Thanks for creating such a superb eSearch Widget. It is a “must have” for any web map app in my agency.

0 Kudos