Is there a way to add Public Notification Widget as custom widget on Portal for ArcGIS 10.5.1

Jump to solution
04-24-2018 10:55 AM
Labels (1)
BPriyaK
New Contributor III

Our organization intends to use the public notification widget functionality in Portal for ArcGIS 10.5.1

I understand that we can add custom widgets to the portal but have no idea as to where to download the widget code and any steps around hosting it on the web server for portal.

Looking for insights from folks that may have attempted to accomplish this.

Thank you

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

BPriya,

So deploying a custom widget involved adding it to your web server (which means on a windows box it is IIS). So you need to open IIS Manager and add an application to Sites > Default Web Site by right clicking on Default Web Site > Add Application. Give the app an alias like PublicNotification and point the physical path to the location of the widgets folder on your file system. Now you will have access the widget using a url like http://machinename/PublicNotification/manifest.json.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

BPriya,

The Public notification widget is part of Portal 10.6.1 so you would have to wait or download the WAB Developer 2.7 version and copy the PublicNotification widget out and then follow the normal custom widget install procedures.

Add custom widgets—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise 

0 Kudos
BPriyaK
New Contributor III

Hello Robert,

I have downloaded the WAB developer edition and copied the public notification widget folder into the C:\Program Files\ArcGIS\Portal\apps\webappbuilder\stemapp\widgets folder.

I'm following the instructions on this page Add custom widgets—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise ,but I'm stuck on this step

Deploy the custom widget to your web server.

You can copy the custom widget folder to your web server (Is there path location ?). After deployment, you need to obtain the URL path to the manifest file of your custom widget. An example of a URL path to a manifest file is <server.domain.com>/<my widget>/manifest.json.

How can you get this url .I'm new to portal any help to accomplish this would be greatly appreciated

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

BPriya,

So deploying a custom widget involved adding it to your web server (which means on a windows box it is IIS). So you need to open IIS Manager and add an application to Sites > Default Web Site by right clicking on Default Web Site > Add Application. Give the app an alias like PublicNotification and point the physical path to the location of the widgets folder on your file system. Now you will have access the widget using a url like http://machinename/PublicNotification/manifest.json.

BPriyaK
New Contributor III

Hello Robert,

That has helped a lot ,I was able to get the widget into our portal

Thanks for all your help

much appreciated

0 Kudos
BPriyaK
New Contributor III

Hello Robert,

I still have a small hiccup with  bringing in the custom widget.I was able to deploy the widget and I see the widget under the custom tab in the widget pool.

However,I'm unable to configure the widget by adding a feature layer as a search source.

Geometry utility services is running and have the rest services url for it.

Is there an additional step that I'm missing to add the url in the code ?

Thanks for any guidance

public notification widget widget configuration

0 Kudos
RobertScheitlin__GISP
MVP Emeritus

No there are no additional steps that I am aware of.

0 Kudos